Popular Posts

10/3/20

Video Engineer Now a Handyman During Pandemic ; Zoom Support Group Keeps Family in 2 Countries Connected


 


[ For a complete list of all blog posts

--by date--see  the "Blog Archive"

 gadget in the right column on

this page ]

 

 

A Report by Bob Schwarz

 

 

                       

            Not so long ago Elvin Lama was working as a video engineer at a World Series baseball game. Today he is a handyman fixing all sorts of things in suburban homes northwest of Chicago. He lives in a cheerfully decorated home (with a mortgage)  enjoyed by his Dominican Republic-born wife,  two daughters in grade school and a  college-graduate  son with hopes for medical school. Elvin is 44,  and Birthzalla is 43, and they have been married 23 years. Their children are Nayrenis, 13; Nayreno, 17; and Luis, 23. 

      

    To help pay the bills, Elvin's wife, Birthzalla, drives a school bus.  When asked what makes him happy, Elvin said," Walking into my home and seeing my kids and wife."  Any worries? was a follow up question during our recent interview: "None," he asserted. "Everything I  have  in my life has been gain."  

        

The  Lama Family

 
After his death, Elvin simply wants God to know  "how hard I worked." His thoughts, I surmised, went back to his childhood in the Dominican Republic and being raised by his grandfather. At age 14 he moved to Providence, Rhode Island to live with his divorced mother. He later met his wife there who, like Elvin had been born in the Dominican Republic,  but had been left by her mother on the doorstep of a friend.  Birthzalla was raised by this friend until the age of 13, when her birth mother, then also living in Providence, Rhode Island, summoned her to come to live with her.

          One day Elvin's mother said to her son , " My nearby friend has a daughter and I think you two should meet, "  The daughter, of course, was Birthzalla ; she was in the seventh grade , and Elvin in eighth grade. They met and soon were dating. Thirteen years later they married . Elvin today  agrees this was "the amazing work of God's providence. "      

Losing Grandma Was Tough

         

          "Losing my grandmother had to be the toughest part of  my life," Elvin went on in our interview. . "Not seeing her anymore makes me sad." His grandmother would telephone him frequently from the Dominican Republic when he moved to his home in Palatine, Illinois. " I would talk  to her every day on the drive home from work. She always asked 'when are you coming to see me?' , and I always answered, 'I'm coming!' But I couldn't.   My wife called me one morning at 4 a.m. while I was working a World Series ball game in Kansas City to say  my grandmother had  died. " 

                                               Elvin at work setting up the stage

                                                for the Pope's visit to Panama.



          Elvin paused, reliving the sad emotion of that morning and the many times  he told his grandmother he would be coming to see her─ but not now.  "We always look for excuses for postponing things we shouldn't have. "

Zoom Meeting Keeps Family United

 

                Every Sunday at 7  p.m. the family gathers at the television screen to watch a live zoomed, one-hour prayer meeting  with cousins and uncles in Rhode Island, Florida, Dominican Republic and Mexico City. Elvin sets up  the zoom event. The prayers─many asking for the healing of several of the cousins and uncles─are led  by a friend of  Elvin in the Dominican Republic  who was raised there by the Lama family. "He's like a little brother," Elvin said.  One purpose of  this prayer meeting, Elvin explained, is to "strengthen the Christian faith of some of my cousins." 

                                                            Tasting one of his hot peppers 



                                                

          We talked about a recent zoom meeting at which nine of these  family members attended. "We are evolving into a support group," Elvin said. "One of us brings a problem to the meeting , like with marriage or finances , and we all participate in solving it . At first,  everyone found it difficult to start talking about the  problem. Then someone  exhorts him,  ' Just talk about it '. Then we all jump into the water and tackle the problem. Then we close with prayer.  It's unbelievable! "

 

          In Spanish, Elvin expressed his core belief to me: " Haz bien y no mires a quien, For Me  to Do Good to You, I Don't Have to See You. "  It's a common expression used in his native country.  "My grandmother  used it a lot." Elvin is Catholic and recently found a Spanish-speaking Catholic church in nearby Arlington Heights, Illinois.

          Elvin is a sturdy six-feet tall, weighs 210 pounds, and has balding black hair. In conversation, he is outgoing, transparent, and accommodating to any request for help.  He regrets not going to college ( his wife did for two years ). His parents believed  that a high school education was adequate to get  by in  the world.  He adds, "I was a pretty smart student, but later I had to help Mom, and I had two younger brothers. When I graduated from high school, I had to find a job. "He later told me that not being able to attend college was the biggest disappointment in his life.

Home Tells the Family Life Story

          He and his wife walked  me through their home. Two large tropical plants greet us as we enter the living  room.   Next in view is a huge wall photograph  of the New York City skyline. The photo is  dominated by the Empire State Building, the former largest building in the world. Elvin pointed to the  photo with a  broad smile.  "That's our Ellis Island, a reminder of our own  immigration."  Near this photo is a wood plaque with the inscription,  "The Future Belongs to  the People Who Believe in the Beauty of Dreams." There are also several photos of the Lama children, taken by his wife; one has the caption I Couldn't Be More Lovable If I Tried. 

          We walked through the kitchen. " We cook at home”, Elvin proclaimed. Spanish  and Dominican food, rice and beans. "I'm big on sea food." 

          Outside we looked  at a long strip of  vegetables and fruits growing along  the side of  the Lama home, planted by Elvin's green thumb. There was a young peach  tree,  strawberries, egg plant , and several kinds of hot pepper plants. Elvin spent several minutes talking proudly about a fig  bush there and a small  fig  tree which survives winters outside.

          Walking to the front of the home,  I made a comment about the grammar school  and its tennis court only a few yards away from where we  stood. "We all play a game on that  court called  'pickle', it's like tennis. "  He added, " With this pandemic going on, I like to work out at a gym , and I ride a bicycle. Elvin's other recreation comes  from  enthusiastically watching sports events on television, especially baseball, which he played in high school.

          For a moment we stood in silence on the front lawn. I asked Elvin what his life goals were. He looked intently  across the street at several stylish,  middle class homes  and said, "To have a  bigger house. I want to move on. Nothing is ever done for me." I know Elvin was voicing his independence. It was an independence  he had accepted but was  not  prepared for, when his  father announced on the day of Elvin's  graduation from high school:  Elvin, you're on your own now.

          I turned to Elvin and said: " Elvin, I must ask you one last question:  " What really has most shaped your life?  

                                             Getting the stage ready for a 

                                              concert at the Met Life Stadium 

                                              in New York City

          "Having my kids," he replied thoughtfully. "Though  I had some negative thoughts about my parents while growing up, but now with kids of my own,  I realize how important parents are. When you have a kid who's one- year old and he's crying and you change his diaper and give him milk, you ask yourself who did this  for me when I was like that?   Having my kids was probably the wakening up of who I really am and who I became.  You start clearing out all those cobwebs in your head. "

The End 


Later this month: 

Tips & Rules from 

veterans of spiritual 

warfare to help you

cross that finish line !

    comments  welcome at

rrschwarz7@wowway.com

©  2020  Robert R. Schwarz

 


 


No comments:

Post a Comment