Popular Posts

6/5/22

The Amazing Trek of a Love-Giving Missionary Raised as a Muslim in Lebanon and Later Martyred There as a Christian Pastor ( part one of two parts )




part one of two parts


By  Robert R. Schwarz

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men
 to do nothing.
Edmund Burke , philosopher (1729-1797 )  

His 2 enemies: himself & the many with unbridled passion for revenge 


Preface: On May 18 of this year, the subject of this post,  Christian pastor Muhammad Yamout,  was boarding a plane in Beirut , Lebanon for the United States to continue helping  his childhood friend Hesham Shehab, pastor of  Salam Christian Fellowship in Lombard, Illinois when seized by the terrorist group  Hezbollah. They took his passport ( which was never returned) and put him in jail for three days.  Hezbollah had been wanting to do this  for months--if not years--to permanently stop Yamout's  work  that, among other humane efforts, had built a  church and an orphanage. A few days later Yamout had a heart attack while driving his car  and crashed into a tree. He died instantly, his wife informed Shehab. 

This article  you are about to read was posted  in May, 2o14; it has  undergone minor editing that includes words from his recent  memorial service , which appears at the end.  
                                    " We might be in for some violent conflict. 
                        But God leads my battles with ISIS, 
                         Hezbollah, and every ungodly group, 
                             using the most powerful  weapon: LOVE "
Muhammad Yamout


            Two ordained ministers,  a Muslim-raised  missionary from Lebanon, and  I all  walked into the church in Schaumburg , Illinois  while preoccupied with  this statistic : an estimated  500,000 people with  Muslim roots live in metropolitan  Chicago. We believed this statistic had far-reaching implications for all people of good will in our communities . I was to interview this missionary about what  it's really like to live as a Christian in the Middle East, especially in Lebanon . 
  One of our group was  Eldor " Rick"  Richter , associate  pastor of this  church, and  author  of   Comparing the Qur'an and the Bible  (BakerBooks, Grand Rapids, Michigan ,2011). Rick, whose specialty is evangelizing to Muslims, is my  coffee buddy at McDonald's.  The other minister  was Hicham Chehab,  who converted to Christianity  after  fighting alongside the Lebanese militia . He is pastor to several hundred  Muslim  converts who attend his  Salam Christian Fellowship  churches in Lombard and Batavia. 

Hicham's Story
Hesham Shehab grew up in a world of bitter animosity between Muslims and Christians, which he experienced personally in a physical attack when only age  seven. By age 13,  he was recruited by the Muslim Brotherhood (Lebanese Chapter) and later fought against Christians in the 1975 war in Lebanon. In 1980, while Hesham was going to the American University of Beirut, Lebanon, for pre-medical studies, his brother was killed by a Christian militia. Hesham’s response was to study by day, and by night take out his revenge in attacks on Christians. However, soon after hearing the Sermon on the Mount in a course of cultural studies at  college, he was converted to the  faith.  Hisham said he  found in Jesus Christ a way of forgiveness and reconciliation with God instead of the hatred and revenge in his heart.
In 2001, Hesham, who worked as a journalist at two Lebanese newspapers and adjunct professor (at AUB),  met a retired Lutheran pastor, Rev. Dr. Bernie Lutz, working with the Lutheran Hour Ministry (LHM) in Beirut. Dr. Lutz plugged Hesham into the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod (LCMS). Hesham moved to the US in 2004 and  finished his pastoral education at Concordia, Fort Wayne, IN
The Life Struggle of Yamout


At age 48,  Yamout   directed  the Tyre Center for Gospel Proclamation  in  Tyre , Lebanon . One of his center's ministries then  was  the care of 1.5 million  Syrian refugees—with more daily fleeing into his country.  
           
   Mohammad Yamout with family on the
day of his Big Decision
 
    

"I'd like to first talk about your conversion, " I told Mohammad  as he, Hisham,   Richter  and I sat in a church pew.  " And then about your family and something about your work with refugees. " 
"Of course,"  he replied.  " But make sure you don't use my last name.  When I gave up my Muslim faith  for the Christian faith, I was put on a terrorist assassination list.  " [ I honored his request until this death  ]
"Can I refer to you as 'Muhammad  Y. ? ' " 
He nodded  approval .  
Muhammad   wore  dark blue pants, a pullover shirt with red and dark blue horizontal stripes and an a brown suede jacket , which he wanted me to know was "old. "  He has brown eyes and his black hair is  flecked with gray . I found out he is five-foot ten inches tall and  weighs 192 pounds .  Muhammad is ruggedly handsome . A few other  things one notices   is that he takes his faith quite seriously  and never is  at a loss  to make his  point  by quoting from the Bible,  if necessary.  He laughs a lot . When emotionally stirred, especially when we talked  about the threat of radical Islam, he rubs a finger across  a short beard and raises both hands chest-high.  He speaks English clearly and with  a  fast wit . While asking  him questions about his personal life, I noticed he was often glancing down at his hand-held smart phone.
" What are you doing, " I asked  , wondering just how attentively  Muhammad had been listening to me. .
"I'm texting some of your questions to my wife in Lebanon ." 
" And she's been answering you ? ! " 
He laughed. " I can do five things at the same time "
He  related his background: He had a degree in accounting  and , at age 25 , had accumulated  $500,000 by hard work but then lost everything while backsliding  from the Christian faith he had embraced  since a youth.


                                      Then  His Conversion…

The milestone in his life ?  " The day I got saved, " he said.    " I was living at the time in a very rich community near the American University of Beirut where a lot of professional people lived, where one gets an education on the street. They talked about politics and social issuers and the Israeli-Arab conflict.  It was a volatile neighborhood.  I was a street kid , living with my mother and step-father , and my real  father left us before I was born and divorced my mother. I started to think and ask questions like 'why am I here ? ' and 'who is  God ? ' I was trying to find answers in the Islamic faith but to no avail. I spoke to an Imam [ a Muslim prayer leader ]  but still did not find rest ."

Yamout's "daily catch"  of refugee children 
Further into our interview,  I discerned that Mohammad was not unlike  the missionaries  I had met during my travels while conducting leadership workshops around the world for Lions Clubs International :  Yes, this missionary was on call 24-7 and had , more or less,  detached himself from  what most of us consider essential to a normal life—like financial security and ordinary social pleasures .  


            Mohammad then  recalled when , at age 14 and having been raised as a Sunni Muslim , he was sitting in a religion  classroom which he had been attending  since age 7 and   listening about the Christian way of salvation. Irresistible thoughts about Jesus kept coming to  him.
      "The moment and the hour was awesome.  But I was not ready to  make a commitment   to Jesus in front of my peers.   I was afraid.   I walked out of the classroom , and  that night   could not sleep. There was a big struggle in me. But  at 3 a.m. I knelt down and prayed about  how to  make a commitment to Jesus . I prayed out loud ; it just came out of my mouth.  'Jesus, I am a sinner, Lord Jesus, forgive me, I need you. '  There was joy and I slept for four hours , and the next day I went to school ,  and my whole life was changed. There was so much going on inside me that I could not shut my mouth.  I was on fire and I wanted to share with everybody what had taken place inside me. "
            Mohammad paused  to catch  his breath. Then  glanced at his smart phone for any  new text from his wife . 
...and the Price
            " After I got saved , I found out that to live  for Jesus is not cheap, " he continued.   Yamout told me   how during his early years as an evangelist, when Muslim fundamentalists—both Sunnis and Shiites— twice tried to kill him in public .  The he added, "But it wasn't time for God to  call me home. "
 Seeing he needed protection, Muhammad's church pastor hid him in the north of Lebanon for six months.  But when Muhammad returned and resumed his life-threatening  evangelism, the pastor  once again feared for Muhammad's life and wrote a friend on the board of trustees of Bob Jones University in South Carolina  and asked that Muhammad be enrolled there .       
Three and a half  years later, Muhammad returned to Lebanon with his diploma and soon  began  planting new churches and handing out thousands of New Testaments. "We were in a devil's den, "  he said . He was  persecuted , of course,  such as the day  his wife was driving their children to Sunday school and a young Shiite man rushed on foot   at her car and tried—unsuccessfully— to drag her out, hitting her in  the  process. The Shiite  was angry, Mohammad said, because  Mohammad  and his wife were  "preaching the Gospel to Shiite Muslim children .  " ( Shiites and Sunni, the two major Muslim sects,  have been in conflict, often violent,  ever since the death of  their prophet Mohammad .)  "But my wife  came back smiling, " Muhammad  said smiling .  
Courtship and  Family
            Muhammad claims being  born into one of the largest Islamic families in Beirut (a cousin was a Muslim cleric ) . His father was born in the Gaza Strip, making him a "Palestinian-Jordanian."   In 1948 , the father  moved to the West Bank ( then Jordan) and later to Lebanon, where he met Mohammad's mother , who  came from a "well-known " Sunni background .He  married her in 1965 but  later left his wife , who then raised Muhammad alone  and remarried  in 1991.  
A bare bones Sunday School class
            " I found his whereabouts  later and contacted him ,"  Muhammad said. " He knew I was a Christian and could not take it. He was rich . Before we parted for the last time,  I told him  that the God who took care of me in the last 30 years will take care of me in the next 30 years. " His   father now works as a building machinery contractor in Frankfort, German .
            Mohammad met his wife, Grace Hanan—the Arab word for ''comfort'—at a basketball game at the American University in Beirut . "I was on fire for  Jesus and was telling her that she needed to get saved. She was a nominal Presbyterian and thought I was a nut and for awhile was cautious with me. She was nice to me but didn't want to continue with me. "
            Months later,  when Lebanon  in 1991  was in a civil war between Muslims and Christians,  Muhammad was preaching in a church where Grace's  mother , coincidentally , was sitting  near  Hanan . The young woman didn't know Muhammad was to preach that night. After the service , Hanan's future mother-in-law introduced her to Muhammad. " We started going out together, " Muhammad said.
            The couple courted for a year and a half, during which time  Hanah was "saved and baptized. " They were married in Muhammad's  church and honeymooned for three days  in "a big hotel up in the mountains. "
            Hanah,  now 48, gave birth to five children: Laya Nour, 21 ; Selina Yasmine,  20; Lynn Samira, 16; Peter Karim, 13, and Sara Hanan, 7. One daughter wants to become a doctor, another an evangelist to children.  

END OF  PART ONE
Next Sunday: Yamout Backslides  and Loses It All
and the Real Struggle Begins 
© 2014,2022  Robert R. Schwarz
All comments welcome
rrschwarz7@wowway.com






           
           




No comments:

Post a Comment