Popular Posts

3/6/22

A Woman Who Walked Boldly Into Her Night





Reported by Robert R. Schwarz



         Holding  the hand of  my friend, Kathy Muhr as she lay dying of cancer at age 77, I reminded her of  the legacy she was leaving behind for the many who had loved her for her 22 years of devoted service to her church . I told her that I too  was one of the many inspired and strengthened by the the bold  way she had expressed her faith . Kathy looked up at me and smiled. 

     On  Sept. 28, 2012,  Mrs. Muhr died in her home. In his homily at her funeral mass  celebrated at the St. James Catholic church in Arlington Heights, Illinois, her priest friend , Fr. Michael Sparough, made the following comments: "She was a woman of deep, deep faith with a passionate love for Jesus.  To be in Kathy's presence was to feel the love of God. She wasn't afraid to voice her opinions when asked, and sometimes when she wasn't asked." Fr. Sparough, a veteran spiritual director . told us he once sought out  Kathy to give him spiritual direction.
 
     As family and friends processed out of the church, Kathy's son, Bill, took up his trumpet and sounded the hymn  "How Great Thou Art." 



***



Her  Passion  at a Church Healing Ceremony 



Kathy Giving a Communion  Host 
From several parishes they had come this night  to be healed of afflictions of body, mind, and spirit. Some were there  to pray for a deathly ill  friend or loved one. It began with a trio of two ladies and a man  filling the sanctuary  with their  pulsating music of a tambourine, drums, and a guitar. Arms went up,  and palms faced outward as if to brace a strong wind. Voices of more than 125 people  kept repeating the refrain, " Yes, yes, yes, Lord! "  The music subsided and Kathy began praying so softly that only  her friends on her right and left could hear her. Fr. Michael Sparough, S.J.,  now rose from his altar chair to begin his homily  in St. Theresa Catholic  church in Palatine, Illinois.  "Let's open our hearts to God's healing power," he said. "Believe that God's grace is sufficient for us to carry the cross we are carrying"  
    Afterwards, on her way to  the altar  to "drink the blood and eat the body of Christ,  Kathy reverently touched a glass case. Inside was the  skullcap worn  by Blessed John Paul II when he was shot by an assassin outside  the Vatican. She momentarily thought of how her former pope had been healed of that  near-mortal wound. 
    Twenty minutes later,  she was first in line with dozens of men and women waiting to be anointed with holy oil by the priest. With his finger moistened by the oil, the priest made the sign of the cross on Kathy's forehead, then on her palm. Two men stood behind Kathy to catch her as she now reverently  fell backwards. The men gently laid her on  the church floor.   
***

         Kathy graduated in 1954 from Alvernia Catholic Girls School.  She met her husband Bill at a St. Viator dance when she was a member of  the St. Viator's young people's club and he a member of the St. John Bosco  youth club. "Bill and I started these clubs because at that time it was difficult to meet other Catholics to date," Kathy told me during our interview.  They married in 1957 and moved into their Arlington Heights home   on North Kennecott Avenue in 1964, the same year she became a St. James Catholic Parish  member.   After Bill  retired from Motorola, he and  Kathy owned and operated an antique business , but as Kathy explained.  "It got too cut-throat for us, and I decided I really wanted to get involved in church work. "

          "Do you have  any special talents? I once asked her  in her home. Kathy mused .  "No, I feel being a mother and a wife were my special talents."  Then she added whimsically, "God knows that I'm worn out from kids and baby-sitting. I never got away from my kids in 20  years. Today they all live in Arlington Heights, and we get together all the time….Raising my children gave me an opportunity to understand God's love and mercy. When things were happening that  I couldn't control , I said to God, 'You love them more than even I do, so I am giving them over to you.'  The weight of the world was then lifted and I was free to let God do the work."
  She loves to play bridge and "silly" card games with her family.  The only thing that makes her sad, she said, is  the unwillingness of people to forgive a hurt. Remaining angry at someone, she believes,  unknowingly binds you .

Then The Diagnosis 

        In 1990, Kathy said she  had a  personal encounter with the Holy Spirit. "I felt this love of God absolutely drenching me. I had never experienced this before, and as I went up to the altar to receive communion, I was weeping, and I realized God was saying,  'You do what I ask  of you and you will be rewarded.' "  
    Immediately after this communion, Kathy  had a great desire to go to mass every day—and has ever since.    "That reward," she said, "was eventually my being given the  joy that only God could have given me."



            "Let's pray together," the surgeon told Kathy,  now a Eucharistic minister at St. James.  The surgeon, a Baptist,  had just told Kathy  she had stage four cancer in her lungs, lymph nodes, and spine and that she had six  months to a year  to live.  That was in May,  2012.
         But  this grim scene never showed on Kathy's face as she continued her church ministry.  As worshipers grasped the chalice  or host from her hand, they saw her  same welcoming, good-to-be-alive smile on her face ." I know  what God wants me to do and that makes me happy, " she said.  
            She was then 76,  an active  woman with salt-pepper hair and  wearing a white tee-shirt with white pants and  white earrings; around her neck was a bronze crucifix and a Marian medallion, a gift from her late husband. " That crucifix," she said, " has done more evangelizing for me !".  In the other room watching a ballgame sat two of her three sons: Kevin, 54, an employee then of the Chicago Executive Airport, and Mike, 53,  who published  a resale shop directory.  Other children include  Bill, 44,  a  Christian counselor in Palatine; and daughters   JoAnne, 50, a youth ministry volunteer;  and Mary, 51, a junior high teacher at  Holy Family school in Inverness and at  the Carl Sandburg school in Palatine.  There are 12 grandchildren and one great-grandchild.
            I asked if Kathy if she felt frightened  by her physician's prognosis: "I  used to be. That was before I knew you could go directly to God.  You see, we were brought up to believe that we have to earn our way to heaven."  This she  loves to tell to "old school " Catholics who are hospital patients.    
            She also loves to relate events in her life which she believes were directed by God. One  was  joining the Charismatic Renewal of Chicago, whose  prayer group meetings  she was attending  on  Wednesdays at St. Theresa's . "It changed my life forever, " she said.  "I learned  we can have  a close relationship with the Lord, that he wasn't up in the sky, but right here with me.  I found out how real God was.  When I now pray, I know that He sometimes answers our prayers faster that we could ever imagine."
            Worshipers at Kathy's prayer group meetings "speak in tongue ". But Kathy was quick to point out that  this is  the "least important" gift of the Holy Spirit. "We received  these gifts from the Holy  Spirit at baptism, but they're sitting in the closet not being used."
           
            Since then,  Kathy says God has also given her a desire to "welcome" people, especially to St. James.  "I try to go to people I have not met yet.  It means so much to people if we just take the time to say 'Hi' , welcome!' "   She doesn't worry about anyone rejecting her or her words.    
            Rosemary Schumacher,  who has worked alongside Kathy at mass for more than ten years, described her as a " caring, thoughtful person who's done a lot for the church."   And  St. James pastor ,  Fr. Bill Zavaski ( now  retired ) , told me that  "she is grounded in faith and lives out her life in a beautiful way, especially as a minister of care and bereavement minister."
" I Am Not Afraid "

    Earlier this year other doctors found swollen lymph nodes on her lungs. When  told  of the diagnosis by her son-in-law, who is a pulmonologist,  Kathy replied  that  it was "okay" with her, for there now was no need to discuss Kathy's five-year-old inoperable brain aneurysm . Kathy dismissed the aneurysm  with, " I've lived a long life. God has blessed me in so many ways." 
Kathy said  she had no wish-list of things to do in her remaining  time.  " My kids all know  I am not afraid because my Lord  has promised me a place with  Him. "  
 

                                                                       comments  welcomed       
                                                                                                               rrschwarz7@wowway.com 
© 2014 , 2020,2022 Robert R. Schwarz




No comments:

Post a Comment