Popular Posts

12/10/16

AN EXAMINED LIFE OF A RARE MEEK MAN ( part 3 of 4 )

Part three of four parts  

By Robert R. Schwarz

And He [ Jesus ] has  said to me, " My grace
is sufficient for you, for power is perfected
 in weakness. " ….For when  I am  weak,
 then  I am strong.  ( The Apostle Paul, 2
 Corinthians 12: 9,10 )

    The meek man is not a human mouse afflicted
    with a sense of his own inferiority. Rather he
   may be in his moral life as bold as a lion and
   as strong as Samson; but he has stopped being
   fooled about himself. He has accepted God's
   estimate of his own life. He knows he is as
   weak and helpless as God declared him to be,
   but paradoxically, he knows at the same time
   that he is in the sight of God of more importance
   than angels. In himself, nothing; in God, everything.
   That is his motto. ( A.W. Tozer , 1897-1963 ,
American Christian pastor, author, magazine editor,
and spiritual mentor. ) 

IX    
Bruce with infant and toddler of his
two nieces
During his  44  years  at Sears , Bruce  sold  cameras  ,  furniture and  shoes, earning a reputation for unquestionable honesty and company loyalty. The Sears store —I gathered from Bruce, whom  I often had to prod for the unpleasant facts—had become  home to him more  than his apartment . For the  first few decades, his days were peacefully predictable and work-satisfying, especially  in the camera section . This was true  despite the many  draconian rules for its approximate 500 employees .   Then, top store management began cutting back hours  of its full-time employees  and  , according to Bruce, began   firing some for minor  infraction of rules.  Employees who quit  or were  fired , Bruce told me , were systematically replaced with part-time help whose hours were changed mercurially from week to week,  supposedly to meet to company cash flow demands . Not having to give these particular employees medical benefits also helped Sears'  profit line.
             Bruce and several others had not received  a  pay raise for 18 years ,   or if they had , their  net salary  after the reduction of hours  remained the same. " If we complained,  they would find some reason to let us go," Bruce told me. Near the end of 2011, his hours were cut to five on some weeks. My friend began thinking about moving to a lower-rent apartment in Chicago but procrastinated for  years  because he could not envision living elsewhere.  I told my wife,   " I think Bruce married two wives, Sears and Park Ridge—for better or worse. " 
Bruce  opted for a small payout from Sears instead of a pension, which he correctly predicted would eventually be eliminated for all employees .  He had an uncompromising distaste  for management's new directive that all sales employees do their very  best to sell  customers credit card applications.  Bruce and others were  given a  daily quota of  nine   applications.  Bruce  usually sold no more than five, and then only to customers  at  whom he had not pitched an application  unless they  appeared to understand the non-payment penalties of a  contract loaded with fine print . Any form  of pressurized selling had always been   inimical to Bruce's  ethics and temperament . "I just couldn't 'pressure people to sign up when I sensed they really didn’t want it," he said.
       
With his buddy Bob Schwarz in front
of  Bruce' s frequented dinner spot in
Park Ridge
 
  At coffee one day,  he explained:  "Bob, I see more of  our customers going into debt they can't live with. Many can't help skipping a payment now and then and then wind up paying 20 per cent interest on it. Some of salesmen don't tell  all the facts before  the  customer signs the credit application, or never do tell them. . They  tell them that payments are 'interest free'!  And Sears tells us  salesmen how great  this application is for this store because  the customer will spend much more with it than with cash . Can you      believe that"?!
            Bruce explained that  a certain bank pays Sears $12 for each application it sells, with $2 going as a  bonus to the salesman . The bank owns the credit t card company and  collects the punishing  interest payment when the customer defaults, Bruce said.  He obviously loathed any bank which got rich off debt-ridden people who had acted out of ignorance or bad judgment . This credit issue continue to vex Bruce for months.  ( I learned  from two employees  that the pressure  on Sears employees at Golf Mill  to sell a daily quota of  credit cards remains today .)  Fully aware of what he thought was managements' tacit message of make your quota or else look elsewhere for work, Bruce remained steadfast with his ethic.
Bruce related that when  a  Sears executive from the home office visited the store one day and learned that he had  repeatedly  failed to get his quota of applications ,  the executive  told Bruce's section manager to fire him. But the manager liked Bruce and talked  the executive into having Bruce transferred to the furniture department , where for at least a  year  , he   unwrapped  and carted sofas and armchairs . His health began to gradually wane—he had suffered a heart attack circa 1970  from which  he had  recovered. Eventually Bruce was assigned to  stocking shoe inventory .    
            Now in his seventies, Bruce's weekly hours had been reduced to 15 , sometimes less.  He spent a good part of the day climbing a tall inventory ladder to re-stock  or retrieve shoe boxes; it  gave him back pain. Was this, Bruce asked himself, Sears' final attempt to force him  to leave ?  Bruce did want to quit ; his Social Security check was barely enough for  his monthly  rent of $650 and    there was no  money left from the company payout he had taken years ago .
" But , Bruce, " I said with a judgmental  tone, " You saw this day coming, didn't you ?" He looked at me with a calm and pensive face , which told me my question was dumb and  unfair.
He replied:   " There was no money to save. "
           Over  coffee in late 2013, I asked Bruce what challenged him nowadays . He surprised me with: "It's not knowing if I'll be up to again having to adjust to the  management style of a new boss. "   One of Bruce's co-workers whom I interviewed years later said, "She wasn't the best. " Another described her as "mean, even with me . "
Over the next few weeks, I gleaned the following account from Bruce: Pushing him  towards a life  finale,  I believe ,  was this  new boss . She was young and obviously ambitious and , for reasons unknown to this day, found Bruce disturbing . One day , when Bruce  had remained after quitting  hours to voluntarily tidy up some inventory,  she started inexplicably to shout  at him , much like she had twice before.
 "She'd start yelling at me angrily , " Bruce related, still feeling the wound.  "  ' What are you hanging around here for ?! ' All I could do , Bob, was stand there and look at her.  I don’t know why she was angry. I had been working hard and wanted to please her. "
Bruce had been stung hard  and wanted to  be free of her but didn't know how.
I thought deeply about Bruce's boss and asked myself, was she  one of those humans who  are repelled by what they perceive as  inexcusable and intolerable  weaknesses  in people . Or had  observing   Bruce's  character for the past three months  sent her a subliminal message that something vital in her character was missing ? Or did the thought of ever becoming in the least like a Bruce actually threaten her enough to  hate him , to  lash out at him , to be rid of him ? I thought of  the fear and hatred the Pharisees had for Jesus when His constant and  obvious goodness had  become   so obnoxious to them,  that when merely to look at  Him was a hardship  demanding He be tested to the limit. 
Bruce quite Sears on Jan. 26, 2012. His "mean" boss quit a month later.  The head store manager and a few co-workers arranged a retirement  event for Bruce  in the store cafeteria. There was no wrist watch or severance pay . But there were a few "goodbye-it's-been-good-to-know-you "  comments from the manager . There also was  coffee and two strawberry cakes.
" Why didn't you fight back ? " I asked Bruce with heated frustration.   "  I mean , I never heard of a  large company  like Sears not giving an employee a raise for, what, 18 years ?  "
" Anything like mention of a union or  a simple protest to your boss would have gotten me fired , " he said.  " It  happened to others.  Besides I had no place to go. I had started to look for another place to work l5  years ago. But I guess I was  too old even then. "
Vaguely I sensed there was something important  I was learning from Bruce, but  was apprehensive about where it was leading me.
 
Age 22 and home on leave from Army
X     With the  help of his niece Connie ,  Bruce moved  into  Asbury Court , a large low-cost retirement community  in nearby Des Plaines . If driving,  it was easy to miss ; Asbury was  only a few years beyond its parking lot entrance and  a traffic-laden highway that immediately ascended over a toll way bridge.
It was a long walk to Bruce's room,  down long narrow corridors , past dozens of doors on which many of  the aged residents  had placed a few artificial flowers .  His  room was perhaps 10 feet wide and 25 feet long; it had a narrow  bed, microwave oven  and a small  television set . Connie had tacked on the wall several old and faded black and white family  photos ; others were in frames on  a  small desk.   A black and white framed  etching of Jesus  was on a bedside table--his  open display of  faith surprised me.  Bruce's  Social Security check, less $100 for discretionary  expenses,  was surrendered each month to Asbury.
           A few months after Bruce  had moved into his new " home "  he was walking out to his parked old  Chevy  when he began losing his  breath.  Asbury called a doctor , and Bruce was admitted to an intensive care unit at Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge. The  heart  which 43 years ago had  required an angioplasty  was now pumping blood with only 15 per cent efficiency.  Doctors implanted a pacemaker and a defibrillator , and   Bruce was taken to the Avanti rehab center in Niles for a few weeks  .            
            He  returned to Asbury after a month of  fighting off depression at Avanti and barely tolerating my sophomoric words of encouragement, like " Bruce, you have to summon up the gumption to fight this depression as you did to get through your Army basic training. " Several times he accepted  my invitation  for  us to pray together. He listened to me read an article about depression , but only to respond—with justifiable  irritation— "reading makes me nervous".  When he added,  "All I want is friendly conversation ",  I recognized my ignorance about depression.  Bruce  was still eating his  pureed food and taking medication to rid his stomach  of  excessive bile which  prevented him  eating the solid food that he missed terribly  . I tried to get him a private  room  but  his Social Security benefit was inadequate. Connie had begun to manage most of her nephew's affairs and continued  her weekly visits and to having  Bruce to her Chicago home for family holiday dinners.  
Within  a month , I was picking up my friend for our  weekly coffee.  Bruce was now using a walker and his right arm trembled when  he lifted a cup. Before driving off,  I'd  ask where  he wanted to go . "You  name it, " I said.  Invariably ,  he would  respond ,  " Wherever you want . " This time his typical  acquiescence irked me. Just once, I wanted him hear him assert  himself, show  a bit of self-centeredness.  I turned to Bruce my friend and  demanded, " I want to take  you where YOU want to go ! Okay ? "  My thought was : Bruce don't be so damn nice ! Don’t remind me of what I might need more of.
 Heeding doctor's advice,  Bruce stopped driving, and for five months his car remained with four flat tires in the Asbury  parking  lot  until  a mechanic bought it for  $500 .  Other than the death of his parents and sister , I don't believe Mr. Kuss was ever more saddened than  when  surrendering  what he considered was  his  last vestige of independence. 



XI
Sowing Lester's ashes across the Rock River--with a prayer
      In the spring of 2013 , my brother Lester died of complications from  emphysema . Connie drove her Uncle Bruce to my brother's memorial luncheon  at Sam's Restaurant in Arlington Heights, where he chatted amiably with 20 guests sitting at a long  table. A week later I invited Bruce and two other  friends , Rob Dobe and Torki Khamissi,  to a private ceremony for Lester at the Rock River near Oregon, Illinois .
            Bruce had known Lester since their  childhood days when our families celebrated holidays together and our fathers shared a rowboat to fish the spring-time  white bass river  run at Winneconne, Wisconsin.  When Bruce  and Lester lived in Park Ridge and my medicated brother was coping wretchedly with paranoid schizophrenia,  the two would exchange a brief salutation  a local lunch counter .  Later, when Lester was confined to a nursing home bed and kept alive by a web of tubes , Bruce   once visited him . A dozen or more visitors also saw my  brother  and prayed for  him at bedside —a few  praying  in "public"  for  the first time.  I surmised . Among them were  Rob , a middle-aged  unemployed  men's'  clothing  salesman  , who was challenged with so many serious  health issues ( several inherited ) that I often wondered how he stayed alive . He  daily  used  a bicycle for transportation, sometimes hitching it  onto a public bus or placing  it  in the back of a passenger train car.  The bike, due to an occasional spill or collision , need repair as much as Rob's body did.  Like Bruce , he  was a confirmed bachelor, and  worked with a church pastor at a sheltered home for adults afflicted with a variety of life challenges. Rob seemed to love everybody he passed on the street, often voicing a vigorous greet in passing.  I  knew for a fact—and remain amazed  by it— that his affection for people was quite human, neither triggered by any drug nor incited by a  mental  disorder . 
       Torki  was  a 35-year-old  Iranian immigrant who cleaned pots and pans all  night at a White Kitchen franchise. At the nursing home, he would  stand over my brother with  outstretched arms and pray in Farsi.  He  was married to an Iranian woman , Ahlam ,  who had returned to her native Iran upon hearing from a friend there that a man named Torki , a man  with a fourth-grade education and of a family recently made poor by the Iran-Iraqi war, would make a good husband.  Ahlam  often had me over ( once with Bruce ) to her modest apartment for a sumptuous Iranian meal .  Torki would forever  struggle to learn English . I taught him enough English, however, to pass his citizenship exam .
            Outside  Asbury, I blew the  horn for Bruce to exit.  He was wearing  the  plaid shirt my wife had given him a long time ago.  His long  convalescence  had left  him thin and weathered .
We drove to  Rob's s subsidized apartment  unit and tapped the  horn every five  minutes  for twenty minutes before our friend came out. It was always that way with Rob.  Before I opened the car door, I quickly  turned to Bruce to say , " I know he's been gargling with Listerine all this time. "  Rob did not want anyone to smell his nicotine breath , and because of my late brother's Lester's lethal cigarette addiction, Rob never smoked in  front of me. As usual, Rob was carrying a backpack—its contents  always unknown—and wearing a black cowboy hat with a  silver braid and an Irish fisherman's sweater I had give him years ago.  From the backseat, Rob reached over and hugged Bruce and me with his customary and genuine  greeting, " Love you guys ! " We drove 20 minutes  to Torki's condo. He greeted us with "Hello, my brudders . "
While heading towards Oregon, I strained my hearing to hear how Torki was handling his English . He apparently had given up trying to understand any of  what the incessantly-speaking  Rob had been telling him about the scenic countryside we were driving through. Rob began to frown from never getting a single word  of reaction from Torki.  To shield himself from Rob's verbal barrage , Torki turned his attention to Bruce up front and tried to engage him in a conversation about the national economy .
The scene brought me joy :  in  a metaphysical sense, I was  seeing the four of us,  disparate in personality and backgrounds yet part of one body very much alive.  I had to ask myself: were we living out in this hour  a  reality of a certain  frustratingly elusive Christian  concept ? Were the four of us alive as four  organs ,  each with a unique function  within  the Body of Christ as our heart and mind , all of us  fused to  an infinite number of faith-filled humans—dead and alive ?
We drove a few miles beyond the farming town of Oregon to the Rock River,  until we saw it bend  and disappear into a forest. I  drove the car off the road and parked it about a hundred  yards from a river bank.  We saw no one, which was good and well-timed , as was the surrounding stillness. The river, now high  and brown , was carrying small branches southward  towards the end  of its long  tributary to  the Mississippi and that to  ocean waters. 
I grabbed my brother's urn from the  trunk , and we walked to the river ,  remaining silent as we sloshed across  ankle-deep muck left  recent by spring rains.  Another urn containing my brother's ashes I had buried  in the All Saints cemetery after  his funeral blessing in my church's chapel. I reminded  my friends each was to take a handful of ashes, walk to the river's edge, and , while saying a prayer for Lester, cast them  outward.
I handed Torki the urn. We all watched in reverence as he tossed ashes, allowing gentle breezes  and a slow current  to carry them downstream. Then Torki thrust his arms skyward, and    for a good ten minutes, prayed  in Farsi. I wondered how Bruce  would express his piety  with three people standing behind him. He took the urn, set it down and   pulled a sheet of paper from his  pocket and read a prayer composed by the Rev. Dietrich Bonheoffer, a German Lutheran hanged by the Nazis when implicated in the  failed plot to assassinate Hitler.  Bruce then tossed ashes, moving his lips in prayer.
     Lastly, I prayed, but never to  remember the words spoken to Lester and to God.  I do remember, however, a thought shared later with Bruce. It brought a faint smile to his face when I told him that surely my brother was pleased with what the four of us had offered up to  Lester for eternity  at the Rock River that day . Those moments were sacred,  I told  Bruce , and that  I hoped  our Father in  Heaven had responded to our prayers and now was making Lester perfectly complete.
The "Body  of Christ" at the Rock River...
( from left ) Rob, Bruce, and Torki

This completes part three of
this four-part article. 
All comments are welcome.
© 2016 Robert R. Schwarz





No comments:

Post a Comment