Popular Posts

1/31/23

Almost a Lifetime as a Prisoner of Schizophrenia, then a Divine Miracle of a Mind Alive with Freedom for My Brother (part 2 of 3 parts)


Part 2 of 3 parts 

Spiritual Combat in   the Penitentiary

Recovery from schizophrenia, almost never complete, runs the gamut from a level tolerable to society to one that may not require permanent hospitalization but in fact does not allow even the semblance of normal life. More than any symptom, the defining characteristic of the illness is the profound feeling of incomprehensibility and inaccessibility that sufferers provoke in other people. (Sylvia Nasar, from her  book,  " A Beautiful Mind ")     


                                 
A memoir by Robert R. Schwarz


           For aimlessly firing his gun at another car while passing it on the tollway, my brother Lester was sentenced to five years in prison.  He spent the first two years inside the Cook County jail in Chicago, a fortress of dim lights and steel and cement and where inmates often remained even more than two years before their final sentencing. .At his final court hearing in 2002, his attorney and I pressed hard that is not sent to a maximum-security penitentiary such as Joliet State Prison, where his illness could eventually crush him as it had countless of mentally ill inmates wrongly sent there instead of confinement for the mentally ill.  

    He eventually was transferred to   the prison at   Dixon, Illinois, a former mental health compound where guards   referred   to an inmate as "mister." Though consultations with the several psychiatrists and counselors who had examined or treated Lester through the years had not given me any reason to believe my brother could ever be cured of his illness, I remained steadfast with the hope that both his mind and soul would be healed. I had been encouraged by a letter he wrote to his mother in 2002 while at the County jail. " Please understand", he wrote, " that I'm going through a trying time with myself. I have to keep pushing fear and frustration away…It seems like day after day goes by with me assembling with my mind and emotions what I can do to better myself the next day. "
   
    Three months later, on September 25, he wrote this to her: "It is hard for me to find a way of looking forward to the future. This is what jail life produces after a while. I don't want to seem gloomy or bored about anything. There is still hope…Please be careful getting up and down out of your chair." And on June 21, 2003, Mom, got this letter from him:  " The only solace I can get is to go to God and Jesus in my prayers and try to keep my mind on a spiritual level much as possible. Robert has taught me a lot about this. "

            There also was  a letter from him to me in which he listed  several things he intended to do when  released from  prison: he would weekly  see a psychiatrist, get a part time job, and move in with me and smoke only in the basement . I handed  this list to  Lester's attorney to present to the judge, indicating that Lester. Schwarz was a changed man and deserved probation. It didn't help.

              I also had faith in what the 14th Century  Swedish saint, Bridget, wrote about   the vision  she  had  of  the Virgin Mary saying to her ,  However often a man may sin, if he return to me with true and heartfelt penitence, I am ever ready to receive him; and I do not regard the number  of his sins, but the intention and  will with which he returns .  

            A  pastor friend of mine  who   had   interacted with many   "good and bad dudes"   advised me  to confront my brother and tell him  it was " his  own finger that pulled that trigger and his own  deliberate decision  that led him to go off the meds  " , adding  that "Jesus is the only one who can forgive him and wash him clean of all guilt and then give him a new life. "(Sadly , my brother had no reply when I shared this with him.  )   

***  

            Mom painfully weathered the news of Lester's crime and imprisonment. Though she understood her son's criminal behavior was evil, I never heard her utter   a judgmental word about Lester  nor  take   issue with the judge's decision. Her  chronic bladder infection kept her in a wheelchair, disabling her from visiting Lester. At one of my last visits with her, we sat for a long time talking about our  past family life and glancing now and then out  her window at a tree with spring buds. Dad had died the year before  from  congestive heart failure , and Mom that day talked about her  loving  a man whose  last 20 years of retirement were not spent fishing or playing golf but doing his best as an in-home caregiver to keep his son  Lester off the street.  " I think, Robert, we had a wonderful life together ,  " Mom stated with pride , then  handed me her letter for  Lester .  As I wheeled her out to the nursing home's   gift shop  where she loved to pick out a candy bar, she said,   "I've never had a bad day here. I think about Jesus and God all the time. When you think about that, you forget about everything. " 

            Mom died three  weeks later  while I was holding  her hand and   praying Psalm 23. She had requested that  her body  not be  embalmed and that it be  cremated . Mom had  her ashes tossed upon the waters of Big Spider Lake in northern Wisconsin . Her husband's ashes and those of her father's had been tossed on the creek that flowed through the family's " little piece of Arkansas land. " 

   From a  rowboat now,  I stared at the lake  waters swirling my mother's ashes downward.
 Near the shore a few hundred yards away was  an empty, aging log cabin where, in 1933, Mom and Dad honeymooned. I glanced quickly at it and rowed back.


Mom and sons  Lester (white shirt ) and  Robert
     

***

                                    For our struggle is not against  flesh
                                    and blood, but against the rulers, against
                                    the powers, against the world forces
                                    of this darkness, against the spiritual
                                    forces of wickedness in the  heavenly
                                    places .  ( Ephesians 6: 12 ) 

             In  the Dixon  visitors' room ,  I waited for my brother to exit the strip-search chamber (he would have to  again enter this chamber upon leaving this room and  have his entire body probed—especially his mouth—for any drug   which  his  visitor might have   passed on to him with a kiss or hug .  )  The room was  filled that day  with at least 40  families and other  loved ones of the male inmate  sitting with them ; the room resounded with chatting  and occasional bursts of laughter from children . There appeared to be no visitor time limit ; some groups, with prisoners,  remained   hours  playing cards or a board game and making an occasional trip to the vending machines for snacks. 

            Lester came out and approached our table with a grin I  disliked  (for  I never knew what, if anything , had prompted it ).   I said, "You look okay, kid.   "  In truth, my brother had a  week-old beard  and a face etched , I presumed,  by nights of fitful sleep . Three of his fingers were stained yellow from smoking cigarettes down to finger- pinch size. " Doesn't that stuff ever wash off ? " I asked. Lester shrugged his shoulders.
            
            ( From conversations with guards and an inmate friend of Lester's over the next several months , I was to conclude that a Dixon "culture"  harbored  many of the  perverted  behaviors of humankind . When I then asked Lester if he ever participated in these behaviors, he quite casually—and without any discernible regret—told me he did, and that this  was how he earned cigarette money beyond that which I was sending him for personal items like candy or stationary.  (Common knowledge and statistics tell us that at least fifty per cent  of  released  convicts are eventually  imprisoned  again for felonies,  many related to drug addiction  and   sexual violence.  But I also was to learn that  Dixon had rehabilitated  some inmates  to live  outside prison walls with good coping skills for life's journey . )

            "How's Mary Alice?" ,  he asked about the woman I married after Judith had  died a year ago. He always  asked  this question first.

              We talked . My brother's speech had become slower  and more disjointed than usual . It now was peppered with prison slang  and an occasional profanity.  I now saw that my brother's life in this prison was making him worse , degrading him  and corrupting those  good teachings so often   expressed by our mother .  

            I kept putting off the news of Mom's death.  Not knowing how my brother would react to it in this room  made  me nervous . 

             Finally I told him: "Les, I have something very sad to tell you.  It's about Mom. " My brother look hard at me and remained motionless. I  said: " Les, she's gone to heaven. "

     Lester cast his eyes upward , as if there was something on the ceiling he needed to grasp or a thought to cling to. We  sat in silence for awhile. Lester was   struggling with an  emotion he wasn't used to.   I felt so helpless !    

            I pulled out a letter Mom had given me to give to Lester  . "Please read it to me, "  my brother said.

            Mom had written Love is the most important thing in life, Lester…Patience is a big thing…  There's good in everybody;   just look for it…  I've learned something  from everyone, and son, choose wisely between the two opposites in life. 

             There came a lot more silence, then with a solemnity I had never heard from my brother's lips, he said,  "Mom will always be there for me to remember with love as well as Dad  ."  

       
  
      I left Dixon this time with heightened concern for my brother's soul. I sent  him a
Bible and asked him to read  the book of John and to answer  questions I had  tailored for him. For the next year  he did this with the help of an  inmate friend , who , on May 5, 2005, wrote me:
Lester's  daughter Lisa visiting her father in a hospital
Robert, I pray lots of prayers for  him [ Lester ] 'cause of the condition he is in. It hurts me to  see him struggle to breathe and get tired out from a slight  walk. I  pray by testifying to him and through prayer that some way God will redeem him and open his heart, mind, and  soul and spirit to the one who died so we can live  through him. Your brother is safe though, happier, less worried and gets plenty of peaceful rest. I help him out by taking care of him—hygiene-wise—and making sure his clothes and linens are cleaned. [  Schizophrenics commonly ignore personal hygiene ] I expect nothing  [ in return ]  because it's my duty as a Christian to offer my services to those who need help. I've been in the prison system since '91 on and off , in and out. I've made plenty of mistakes and bad choices but when I knelt down and surrendered my life to Jesus for dying for our sins, life has been truly wonderful… Sincerely , Freddie .

            My hopes for my brother's rehabilitation—or healing— soared  when I read Freddie's letter  and again soared  while reading these words  from  Lester :  I've got everything pretty much under control with myself and am first seeing the light of what I have to do to improve myself. I know it lies in my medication, my reading, my work  and Christian Devotion.   I will try to get to  church this Sunday . (Dixon had a chapel .  )  

            Though  the letter's phrasing made me suspect that Lester's inmate friend had  helped  my brother compose this  letter , I remained cheerfully optimistic about my Lester's future;  that is, until Lester and I hit a danger  bump on his road to recovery.  One Saturday afternoon during a   visit, I pulled out my Bible and read  this verse from  Romans: We live by faith and not by sight. Noticing my brother did not have his Bible,  I asked , " Somebody swipe your Bible, Les ?"

            Lester shrugged his shoulders .

            " Well, that's okay, kid…How 'bout we now  say a little prayer, Les ? "

            Expecting his usual  sincere nod of  approval  he had been  giving me for weeks,  this time  Lester frowned and drew back  his chair and , with that simple grin ,   looked away .  "I don't think so  today, " he said.

            In that moment, despite the frown and the  grin,  I was pleased with what I thought was my brother's   spontaneous honesty  about the absent  Bible . But in the very next second,   I saw in his eyes  a rebellious glare . It frightened me.     I suddenly remembered an evening years ago when Dad express disgust over Lester's fondness for reading books about  an arch vampire  named Dracula and  also the demonic dictatorship of Adolph  Hitler .
            I left Dixon that day wondering  if  Lester —though I believed he had seriously  taken up arms to fight for his  sanity -- I still wondered if he  was fatally  engaged  in some bizarre  spiritual combat or that his schizophrenia had acquired  an  undiagnosed and more horrific dimension . The next day, I was sure there was a ferocious  war  going on inside my brother.

Next week: part 3 of 3, 
Dying to One's Self… "In my 20 years
as chaplain, I've only seen this happening. 
to a patient twice!" 
(Fr. VanderHey ,V.A. chaplain, at the
Captain James A. Lovell 
Federal Health Care Center when my
brother was battling for mind, life, and 
soul. ) 

All comments are welcome.
rrschwarz71@comcast.net
© 2017-18. 2023,   Robert R. Schwarz




No comments:

Post a Comment