Popular Posts

2/27/22

Some Say a Struggling Next-Door Neighbor Could Be a Saint In the Making

 On Sunday, March 6: 
A Woman Who Walked Boldly 
 Into  Her  Night 



A Report by Robert R. Schwarz 

   Writes Pope Francis:  "In those parents who raise their children with immense love, in those men and women who work hard to support their families, in the sick, in elderly religious who never lose their smile . In  their daily  perseverance I see  holiness of the Church militant.   Very often it is a holiness found in our next-door neighbors , those who living in our midst, reflect God's presence . We might call them 'the middle class  of holiness.' "   

 
What follows are glimpses of seven  "weak" men and a woman whom the author has known , admired and envied for their steadfast display of strength which, by all accounts,  sometimes exceeded human limits of mind, body, and soul. Following this is a profile of  a " next door neighbor" of mine,  former coffee-time buddy."  Some  names have been changed.           
                            
                             
           KARL: Today at age 62, my friend after a life of enduring bipolar disorder, alcohol addiction, osteoporosis  and attention deficit disorder (ADD), lives quietly in a government subsidized "rest home" with soul-satisfying memories of overcoming and being healed of these maladies. He rose from rock bottom to help a chaplain give spiritual, emotional, and physical comfort to  handicapped adults.                            



          BAPIN: Made deaf when a youth born  in India and later blinded by an assault from  a crazed school mate, Bapin  immigrated to America . He amazingly graduated from the University of Arkansas . He  prayed that  God would  give him there  one true friend; God did: it was the donated gift of  Leader Dog for the blind . This led to Bapin being hired as a technology wizard at the Helen Keller School for the Blind and Deaf . After graduation,  Bapin married , and his deaf wife bore him a healthy son.  In 2015, Bapin began touring the country lecturing on electronic equipment for the blind and the deaf.              


        
Aji with a friend
   
AJI: I helped Aji  learn English so he could become a U.S. Citizen . For nearly ten years, he was (and still is ) was cleaning pots and pans at a fast food place to support his ailing wife . With  only a fourth grade education, he continues to struggle learning English , mostly from church friends.         
          

        
GRACE: Grace, a Polish immigrant, cleans homes daily in Chicago suburbs. She spends hours praying for her  clients , giving them gifts of religious sacramentals . Grace also  volunteers  helping relationships with priests. Though she and her  daughter have been saving money so they can return to their extended family in Poland and their  rebuild  home there, she remains   committed to her God-given  mission  of "tidying"souls , including those   in America.                            


       
   LESTER : My brother,  now deceased ,  spent most of his adult life coping with paranoid schizophrenia in hospitals , nursing homes, and eventually a penitentiary . He spent much of his  last year on earth in a VA hospital , kept alive by a ventilator. Nursing staff remember him as man who seldom complained , often smiled at them, and  listened to the prayers of his many visitors. Lester , who had for decades denied and often deliberately opposed God, was healed of his mental illness after praying with a chaplain. With   solemn sincerity, Lester  said yes to his Creator and thereby  entered  into full communion with the Roman Catholic Church . My wife and I will never forget those words of that VA hospital chaplain as he left my brother's room: "Never have I seen anything like this in all my years as chaplain here."  



   
          HARRY: He has lost everything: janitorial job,  family, and all his savings. And  from what I recently observed,  he also lost his only remaining source of joy;  his morning  coffee in a  café where for years he had loved to chat amiably with customers and, weather permitting, feed bread crumbs to pigeons outside . Harry was exiled from the café because  two customers intensely disliked seeing Harry now and then doze off for a few minutes in a rear booth. Harry  had often  expressed to me his search for truth, his dismay with the selfishness of our culture, and his  ardent desire to get closer to God and to better understand the Holy Trinity.        



          BRUCE:  Bruce , a boyhood friend of mine and someone who, by all accounts, never displayed duplicity, died at age 83. I never heard a foul word from his mouth and  never a complaint about being in a wheel chair the last few years of his life, despite the Parkinson's disease that made 90 per cent of his speech unintelligible. He never married, lived a bachelor's  life, never joined a church, yet weekly joined me in prayers during the several years I  visited him at his rehab center. When he was able to speak, he always ended his prayer with: Father , please have us be the people you want us to be. For 35 years he had a spotless record as a clerk in a large retail store, believing that if he simply did the right thing in life, God would take care of the rest.  

                           

                                        
                                    My grace is sufficient for you, for                         
                                   my power is perfected in weakness
                                    ( God speaking to the apostle Paul:
                                     2 Corinthians 12: 9 )                     
                                                  
          Having Coffee with  Ron                        
 

          Ron is not my next door neighbor , and I don't know how holy he  is. But I am grateful for the  coffee-time conversations Ron and I had at a supermarket nook for the  two  years .  (This  made me practice some life  skills Mom and Dad taught me , such as look for the  good in people , soften your heart, don't lie and don't  quit  . )
          Interviewing Ron reminded me of an Army training sergeant who introduced himself in our barracks and barked: " You will learn not to like me ,  and I don't care." Ron's personality  vibrates a fierce independence that tolerates no opposition . Yet, the more Ron was himself,  the more I felt obligated (as a journalist then ) to know some facts about his life.                             
Ron...keeping in shape
          Ron then was 71, lived alone , never married, and had attended 13 grammar schools in the Chicago area . " We had to move a lot, couldn't pay the rent…my father was a gambler, " he said . Ron  majored in physical education at Southern Illinois University  ( " I flunked out twice" ) , and at age 23 joined the U.S. Marine Corps , spending  two years as an enlisted man ( " I was not  important " ) . Life after the Corps for Ron became decades of odd jobs in several states until a stroke forced  him to retire . He limps now and is passionate about keeping physically fit ; his forearms exude strength and look like ham hocks . He frequents a  gym and pedals  his bicycle  back and forth in  all weather .
          In our   coffee nook the  morning of our interview,  I noted  Ron's profile:  he's  maybe five-foot-ten and  balding, usually has four-day-old  white whiskers, and often wears a sweat shirt, sweat pants, and tennis shoes. 
           " Ron , " I said, " I need to ask just a few more questions to clarify a few things you told me ." 
          " Shoot," he replied.
          I read him my notes. 
          His replies were:  
          " I didn’t   say that!  Lies !  Don’t make me out to be religious!   You got it all wrong !"            
          Chuck Williams, Ron's coffee mate at our table, showed discomfort    and left .  
With another coffee buddy , Chuck Williams 
          My retort to Ron was,  " Listen , my friend, I'm not your press agent !"  Ron gave me a Cheshire cat  grin . I got up  and concealed my irritation by convincing myself  this was just another assignment given me by a (  now deceased  ) editor of the Chicago City News Bureau. "See you later, Ron. I've got   some shopping here to do for my wife. "  Common sense said that continuing to  interview  Ron would be a mistake. 
    That night  I was prompted to  read  my interview notes:    

Ø What Ron learned about life while in the Marine Corps was to "shut your mouth and  keep your eyes straight ahead ."  He  also learned how to   fire a 105 millimeter howitzer .   
Ø Ron's retirement , he said, was  "not what I had entirely planned . But I still can do  most of the things I did before."  
Ø Ron started a career  as a house painter  and "anything else you could think of. "  After that he  "went into diversified things like carpentry and doing that kind of stuff."
Ø The occasional angry temperament some see in Ron,  he believes,  is ignited by "people talking about foolish, stupid things. "
Ø Being with his sister's family, especially at   their annual family picnic ,  makes him happy, but  "jokes don't make me laugh "
Ø He has had a life-time  passion for keeping physically  fit at a gym and has  a keen interest  in champion gymnasts,  particularly U.S. Olympiads . "It makes me move and feel better . You look at people and say, ' Oh, they look good ' or  'they don't look good . ' "  ( He  laughed. )
Ø For recreation Ron  goes to the library to "  look up a lot of things that I never learned before,  things I see on  television."  
Ø He doesn’t cook much  but makes " simple things like sandwiches. "

          When on another day when  Chuck had  seen me frowning during  Ron's  volley of objections to my notes,  Chuck   thought I needed to hear a  few positive  words about Ron , like: " Ron has  overcome a lot of obstacles that I think some people couldn't, " he said. "Ron  works hard in overcoming them. And he's really good at offering suggestions to people who have things that need to be fixed. "
           Chuck's comments made me think of the time when Ron kindly  suggested that if I  wanted to improve my hunching back,  I should wear one of those   super-wide abdomen belts like  he  wore. It kindled  my desire to reach  the inner  Ron.   But how?

"You've got to create…something coming down to  you "
          At 7:55 a.m. on April 15, 2018 , I walked  from my car through a cold-weather rain into the Mariano's supermarket and sat down with Chuck  and four other men  at our usual  table.  As usual,  all heads were bowed to either the Chicago Tribune or the Daily Herald. Except for an occasional grumble over a sports score or a hike in gasoline price,  silence was  male-honored protocol  here .  But now the  men opened a long debate over the  price of a 1961 Corvette.  It ended, of course, in total , animated disagreement .
          Four men left, leaving Ron and me. I wanted to  speak words that  segue peacefully  to another interview . Picking up  one of the newspapers spread over our  table and pretending to read it, I nonchalantly  asked Ron , " What's your   personal legacy to be Ron ? "                       
           "  This story you're writing.  If it's good , "  he growled  like that  of that  Army training sergeant .
          We returned to our newspapers .    

          
           Ron's eyes widened as he watched  two children  frolicking around a nearby table like two monkeys .  Ron's face showed  uninhibited delight. It was not the same Ron .  
          The challenge now was to engage Ron in  my last interview topic : the spiritual dimension of his life. I feared , however,   that if my first question did not reflect a sincere caring attitude about him, Ron  would  shut down  this   interview as he once did before.  
          I went back to my   newspaper and , without looking up , asked Ron  (as if an answer wasn't important ), "Hey, Ron , you by chance  got a favorite Bible verse ? "
           It actually  incited   Ron to reveal  some of his  interior life .
          "Only one , I can recall," he said. "John  3:l6 .  The  only one  I ever learned, and I was sixteen years old. " 
           Because Ron had   told me some time ago he did not own a Bible ,  I recited  John 3:16,  one of the few verses I knew word for word because my family and I had  read it time after time on two large bill boards while driving up on vacation to the Wisconsin North Woods: For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him  should not perish, but have eternal life . 
     " And that verse has significance for you, Ron ? "
          " Well, somewhat…when I think about it. "
          I went for the  big one. " Tell me, Ron, what do you strongly believe in?"
          Ron  spoke with long pauses  between his thoughts.
          " I don't think about that much…My spiritual thing is much different than that of most people… It's not  going to church . I don't go. I don't have nothing against it particularly…but I listen mostly on TV  nearly every week  to a  different church service …I  jump around a lot…that guy  in Oak Brook, he's pretty good.   "
          " What do you  get from listening  to  him, "  I asked?
           "I don’t know for sure about him… but  some of   those people in that  Bible book  he talks about , I  see their characteristics in some people I know... But I'm not so much connected to God , like you wanted me to say."
          Ron went to the washroom. I had no more questions in mind and  trusted   in the Holy Spirit to help me   climax this interview. When Ron  returned to our table,  I leaned close  and said,  " Ron, I feel you are a man of  faith. " 
          "You know my struggle is not really a struggle ," he said. "I put one foot in front of the other.  "
           "You seem like a good strong man," I saidand meant it.
           " All the house  moving I  did,  I think that made me stronger.  It didn't make me a lot of money or a secure place to live all the time  , but that's my life, and I'm happy with it. "
          "Do you pray? "
          "No."
          " Any reason why? "
          "I do a lot of thinking…."
          Suddenly  Ron erupted with  his  characteristic anger and  commitment to  independence at any cost :  "You have to get things for yourself ! If you think that by  praying , you're going to get something from God, how are you gonna get it from somebody else? You gotta get it from yourself ! "
          I  recoiled from Ron's words. They echoed a boastful, rebellious mantra of mine from high school days:  Each man his own God  ! is what  I would proclaim  to my buddies . My journalistic ,  emotional  detachment from this interview now wobbled and,  feeling patriotically Christian,  I   vented my  feelings to Ron:   "There isn’t a pastor in a Christian church  in America who would agree with that! "        
          "I don't care , " Ron said defiantly. .
          " I know you don't, " I answered, equally defiant--and angry with myself.               " You know , Ron, you do know, don't you,  that 'God is that  guy who created the moon, the earth and the sunand you say, you say,  He can't do ANYTHING for Ron?   Come on !  You know better . "     
          Both of us were silent. Then I  retreated a bit  meekly  into my mother's exhortation to look for the  good in people and soften my  heart.   
          "God lives all over, Ron , " I said.  "He's all powerful. "
          "I agree with that kind of thinking. But is He human" ? 
          More silence . We both welcomed  it  when Ron joked , " Now sounds like  I'm interviewing you."           
        
          We laughed .  "Ron, I know you believe  that God's Son , Jesus ,   was  both  human as well as divine.   
Some times we listened more than we talked
          "Yeah, yeah, I know that ," Ron said , trying hard to mute a growl of consent . 
          What he  said next was  firm  and sincere , as if  the words had broke free from a mind cluttered  with years of  pseudo-religious stuff dumped there  by our culture .
          Ron voiced his  proclamation : "You've got to  create ,  somehow ,  something  coming down to you, a thought  that you want something important ! "
          We were finally connecting . I was on Ron's side now .  
          "Ron, in a strange way, you're right, you're absolutely right .  And , if  you don't mind, friend,  I'm going to leave you with this word from the Bible: We don't walk by sight but by faith--and  I added,  " and from our  faith, Ron,  flows our good works. "
          " You know,  that's somewhat the same thing I sometimes think about  while falling asleep in bed,"  Ron said.  
          "You are a man of faith and I admire you ," I said.   
          "So, in other words, I don't have to pray out loud. "  
          We parted for now. 

Holiness Found in  Our Next-Door Neighbor
          Days  later when I began to outline this report, I realized Ron was different from anyone I had ever interviewed in America or overseas. Different  from a Christian perspective. How different ? I got a clue from  a newspaper column in the  National Catholic Register ( April 10-14 , 2018 ) written  by  Ilyas Khan, a convert from Islam and chairman of the Stephen Hawking Foundation.  I was surprised to read how Khan presumed there was  Christian blood running through  awking   Hawking ,  a well-known atheist  ( and a celebrated  physicist  ) who was wretchedly disabled for years , needing robot-like aids to speak and move. What caught my eye,  however, was  Khan quoting  Hawking saying:  And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you never just give up.
        
 
With Bob Schwarz at coffee
I knew there was  more to Ron that that gutsy fortitude .  Likely, though, no one but  God will ever see  Ron's final  report card. I began, however, to think differently about him after reading  a  Catholic  News Agency report ( April 9, 2018 )  written by Hannah Brockhaus . She had reported on Pope Francis' third apostolic  exhortation, subtitled "On the Call to Holiness in the Contemporary World. "  The Pope expounded on a belief firmly held by many clerics and Christian monastic orders that all humans are called by God to holiness, to sainthood. In his exhortation, the Pope wrote that holiness is often found  " in our next door neighbors, those who, living in our midst, reflect God's presence… We might call them the middle class of holiness. " 
                   The End
 comments welcome at  
 rrschwarz7@wowway.com
              © 2018, 2022 Robert R. Schwarz        
                             
         



           
         

           
                                                                                                  



         


           
         
           
           


           
           

         

No comments:

Post a Comment