Popular Posts

8/21/22

A Conversation with a Tender-Hearted Mortician Who Is a Church Decan and Has a Family Bonded by Love (Part 1 of 2 parts)

Part One comes from interviews
in December 2018; part two
from interviews the author  
conducted in 2022. It will
be posted next Sunday.  

By Robert R. Schwarz

                                    The family is the simplest and most basic form of
                                    society. It is the main school of all the social
                                    virtues. It is the seedbed of social life. For it is
                                    in the family that we learn to practice obedience,
                                    a concern for others, a sense of responsibility,
                                    understanding and mutual help, a loving
                                    co-ordination of essential different characters.
                                    (Francis Fernandez, In Conversation with God,
                                    Vol. 1, pg. 234) 


                              My goal is to find  what makes me happy in life , 
                                  to stick  near  my family and to always have God 
                                  on my side, to really focus on the things that matter. 
                                  ( Kiana Resch )  

                                   I have visions of heaven each day I go to  work. 
                                  Heaven is going to be a beautiful place where 
                                  we're going see people who have passed before us. 
                                  (Sam  Resch)
                                   

        
Kari, Kiana , and Sam 

 
The suburban home of Sam Resch, 54, wife Kari, 46,  and daughter Kiana, 17,  vibrates family love and a simple but devout Christian  life. Family photos and religious icons are in view in each room,  as  if put there in the spirit of the moment. There is a statue of the Virgin Mary;  a prayer entitled "Love Abundantly"; and a photograph of the  650-acre  farm where Sam was raised with four siblings and where, he says, he learned "people" skills and  a work ethic and a love of cooking. Against one wall is  an imposing wooden desk that belonged to the now deceased owner of the Glueckert Funeral Home which employs Sam and  describes him  as a "guy who loves helping people" and his profession as if it were a  "faith-driven ministry."  In the home, there also is Blaze ,  a  hand-licking Dachshund, and  James  their cat .  
             When the  four of us sat down to talk , the family laughed freely and occasionally held back tears when asked to tell me  what makes  them happy. They replied: serving their St. James Catholic church in Arlington Heights,  Illinois— or sad— missing friends and  family relationships  left behind  in the small Iowa  farming town   of Spirit Lake ( pop: 5,000 ). Sam takes his duties  as mortician and funeral director as seriously as a priest might  take his ( Sam  has his heart set on  becoming a deacon after four years of study ) . Kari  easily   emotes  over  a 17-year  love relationship she's had  with the kindergarten students she teaches . ( One can sometimes see this  when  passing by her classroom door  on  their  way to  morning  Mass.)  Kiana is  a Eucharistic minister  with her father at St. James  and  will soon be studying biochemical engineering in college.
            Edited excerpts of  our conversation follow.

Sam, what  made you decide to become a funeral director and a mortician  ?

Sam:  When we decided farming wasn't for us, we looked at other options.  Doors closed on the farm and opened on the mortuary.

Does it ever bother you   working daily with dead people? 

Kari: I just ask Sam not to tell me too many details.  If  I did, I think I would cry at every funeral. But  I'm glad to know that he can provide comfort to families in need.

Kiana: ( lightheartedly ) Some people don't know what to say when I tell them that my father  is a mortician.  I'm glad that there are people out there willing to do work like that . And I know that he's  really good at his job.   

How do you know that ?

Kiana:  People write him thank-you notes. My friend [ whose grandmother had just died]  told me she was so grateful to see  my Dad's  bright, smiling face [ in the funeral parlor] to comfort her .
 
What brought you and Kari together?

  Kari: We were set up for a blind date by  Sam's sister. It snowed on our first date and we had to cancel.   It was another month before we could meet.   We married a year and half later. We've been married 20 years now.

Sam:   Kari came into my life when my father was sick with various health problems. He was on 17 different medications, and Kari was  with him during his  hospital stays. 

What do you do as a family, that is, do things together  that you cherish ?

Kiana: Every summer we go back to Dad's home town. At a nearby town we reconnect  with the whole family. And that's  just the  highlight of  my whole  year. And another thing we like to do is  have family meals together.

What restaurants do you eat at ?

Kari: We often do  take-outs.
Sam: Chili's, California Pizza , Noodles, and Francesca's . 

You go to movies ?

Sam: We see all kinds of movies. I take care of the concessions.

Kiana : [ with a chuckle ] Of course he does . Actually , we  go maybe only like once or twice a year. The last movie we saw together was the latest Harry Potter movie. Dad fell asleep during it.

Any special skills or talents you three have ?

Sam: How about helping  and servicing families ?
Kari : Sam can fix things.
Kiana: : When he has his mind set on something, he's going to get it done.
Kari:: I like to bake sweets. 

You have a cat  with the formal name of  James, right?

Kari: : He definitely has his own personality .
Kiana:  We wanted to name him Hawkeye.
Sam: We got him on the Internet after being interviewed by the owner.

Mom with Kiana at her first communion 
We all  have challenges in life…How  has your faith got you through  the tough  times?

Sam: From making the transition from living on the farm to living in the city of  Chicago  for three years, before moving to Arlington Heights. After four years of working in Iowa, the owner of a  company I was working for gave me some money to go to mortuary school .  [ the   Worsham  College of Mortuary Science ] Also when you're with a family [ at the funeral home] who is  really torn up  and you have to   help them  come through it,  you need strength.

That's not easy. 

Sam: No, it isn't ! I have to put myself in their shoes in order to serve them. I deal with faith every day I walk into the funeral home .

Kiana:   My mom has had  some  surgeries , and I have been a very anxious person. [now in tears ] My friends have told me to turn to God  for help. And that really  helps. And last year we lost  someone really close to us. It's hard for me to watch my aunts  and uncles and Mom and Dad getting older, and seeing them struggle with things. That tests my faith.  Whenever there's a difficulty we turn to God and know that He's going to guide us. We always pray for all the blessings and good things we have in our lives. We like to find those special 'God moments' ,  and all that's beautiful in our lives.

Kari: We do. We pray at night and thank God for the roof over our head , the food that nourishes our body.


What makes you three sad ?

Sam:  [ tearful  ]  Seeing friends I know die. And that's something we have to get used to. Cause that's what I sign on to do. We're there to help them get though it.

Kari : Even though St. James is our home,  being away from our immediate family, especially at  Christmas and I see people with these huge families , and knowing we can't go back.

Kiana:  I would definitely agree with that. It's really hard seeing other  people getting together as families…[ pauses, then tears ]

What makes you three  happy ?
Sam: To see other people happy due to the work we have done at the funeral home. Being seen at St. James as a family serving the church.  And, before work,  bringing  a cup of tea  from Starbucks  to  my wife when she' teaching in her classroom. Or when Kiana is working at the parish office, she sometimes gets  a latte from me .

Kari: When Sam and Kiana are successful. 

What about goals ?

Sam:  To be a better husband and father and better serve the community of St. James.
Kari: To be the best kindergarten teacher  I can be, the best mom and wife.

Do the school kids ever get on you nerves ?

Kari: Not really. I try to be really patient.

Kiana: She's called the Mary Poppins of St. James….My goal is to find  what makes me happy in life , to stick  near  my family and to always have God on my side, to really focus on the things that matter .

Plans for the future ?  

Kiana:   Well , next year I'm planning on going either to the University of Iowa or Marquette  . I'm thinking  of studying biochemical engineering . I'm thinking of doing some lab work. I really don't want an office job. I really don’t know what will happen next, but as  Mom always says, I'll trust that God will put me where I'm suppose to be .

What would each of you like  people to say about you after you have  died  ?

Sam:  First,  That I did not treat anyone any worse than I wanted to be treated. Number two: that I cared for the less fortunate , the handicapped, and those who  needed help.

Kari: I'd  want people to say that she was a great teacher and that she helped me to learn to read and to  add and subtract.

Kiana: Kind of like what my Dad said, that I was best person I could  be towards everyone and had a caring smiling face towards everyone. 

What drew all of you into  the Catholic faith? 

Blaze wanted his picture taken


Kari:  I was raised Lutheran, but before I married Sam I became  Catholic. It was really important for us to be of the same faith because  I had seen friends struggle with one being Lutheran and one being Catholic.  I didn't want that to be a problem for us.

What impact has being a member of St.  James had on your lives ?

Sam:  You know, everyone there talks to you , and they have opened avenues for each of us.  Kiana is now lecturing besides being a Eucharistic minister and helps with the  Sunday school program and Kari helps with the before- school care , and we’re seen as a family at church.
Kari: You know, they say never always sit in the same spot at Mass, but I love to because it’s fun to connect with Maria and Joan and others. It just makes you feel at home.
Kiana: Definitely,  it's the family aspect.  St James has given me so many opportunities to enrich my faith. The mission trip we took was so much fun, being able to join with other kids my age. We connected with people from over the country.

Do you have a favorite prayer or Bible verse?

Sam: We have "conversations " with God . Sometime you have to put it all together,
Kiana:  My class  says a prayer from the book of Philippians , which is  all  about anxiety. There's something so jarring about it. There's something about it that always pokes out to me whenever I hear it.

Sam: Same for me. There's always a Biblical phrase you  we hear in our  priests' homilies that helps gets you through the day.

Was it difficult , Sam, to learn how to  prepare a dead  body for  a funeral ?

Sam:  I learned  through schooling ,  working with people at the funeral home , and me  doing practicum's at the Cook County Medical Examiner's Office. (again, choking back tears ) But remember this: the Glueckert family gave me a  chance.  When they hired me , I had not touched a dead body.  But, they believed in me. They put their arm around me and took me little steps to where I am today. 

How long did it take you  to get used to working on a corpse ?

Sam: [dismissing  the question while  remaining  quite  emotional   There's one thing you have to keep in mind:  I had to prove to my family that I could be successful.

How do you feel doing you work on someone you  know, say a friend?

Sam:  It's rough . I pray for a few minutes… Then you have a job to do .

How do you handle a situation where the dead person has been horribly mangled in a car accident, and it's your job to make them look dignified in that casket? Have you ever said to a family, ' You know I think we should keep the casket closed ' ?

Sam:  I have. We present the family with options  and take a look at the family's needs.  We, as staff, might  recommend to a family that  you can see your loved one in private for an hour , and if you want a closed casket then , we can  do that. 

Holy Scripture tells us that those in Heaven  arrived  there with in glorified bodies . What are your thoughts   about that ?

Sam: .  I say to people at the  funeral, ' Whatever you tell me, I 'm   going to believe. ' I have visions of heaven each day I go to  work. Heaven is going to be a beautiful place where we're going see people who have passed before us. They're going to look like normal people .

And the soldier who's been killed  in combat   and remains unidentified ?

Sam: What I believe is that our souls are  going to Heaven…and what we work with in the funeral home is the body.  Each family that sits down with us at the funeral home has something to teach us. We learn from about life and faith. 
The Resch family on the St James altar with
Deacon ( far left) and Pastor
Matt Foley


Part two will be
posted next Sunday. 

comments welcome at
rrschwarz7@wowway.com
© 2018, 2019, 2022 Robert R. Schwarz

No comments:

Post a Comment