Popular Posts

5/10/20

A Techie Who's Blind and Deaf-- and Becomes a Father, Husband and Business Man [ part 2 of 2 parts ]

                                 

By Robert R. Schwarz




                                     If we should ever feel burdened by the knowledge
of our weakness…let us remember what  the Lord
told St. Paul during his time of trial : "My graces
is sufficient for  you,  for my power is made perfect
 in weakness ." ( from Conversations with God
by Francis Fernandez )



[Note: All spoken or written  words attributed to Bapin
in this article were communicated either by the
tactile American Sign Language or a Telebraille
 machine. ]
[ last of a two-part report ] 


Summary of part 1 : 
Anindya 'Bapin' Bhattacharyya  , age 8 and  deaf and blind in one eye,
is captain of his school's soccer team in India when one night
at a  game victory celebration , he is blinded in his remaining
eye by a  jealous team member who throws hot coals in his
face. His father spends a year's salary to fly his son to America,
 where Bapin has been given a scholarship to a  school for blind
students. Bapin goes on to later to  graduate from the University of
Arkansas and, in  answer to his  prayer for a "close friend ", is
given a Leader dog for the blind by a Lions Club  in Michigan .
He and his "close friend " are professionally trained, but only
 after master and dog narrowly pass a grueling test.  







His 'Dream Job' , Then Heartbreak 



   Several  months passed before I again had contact with Bapin . I was speechless when he told me he had married ! Our "conversation " took place in a dismembered web of communication .  Bapin and I (I'm on the phone in my  home in Arlington Heights, Illinois  ) are "speaking" to each other with help of " Interpreter  46A" (she's  in Utah  ) , Bapin  and  his  wife,Sook Hee Choi  (who's deaf  ) are sitting together in his  office in Berkeley , California.   Also helping , in unfathomable ways , is Bapin's constant companion , his guide dog Walter, now lying under his master's desk.  I am  feeding questions to the interpreter; who  is relaying them with sign language via Skype to Sook Hee, who then communicates my words to Bapin by pressing her fingers onto his palm, using    tactile American Sign Language . Bapin replies to the interpreter  with sign language for the deaf, which the interpreter then speaks to me. ( In previous face-to-face interviews with Bapin, we "conversed" by using a seven-key Telebraille machine; I'd type my questions, and Bapin, after reading them with his   fingertips, would then  type his replies. )

         Bapin was now working full-time as an adaptive technology instructor at the Helen Keller National Center for Deaf-Blind Youths & Adults in Sands Point, New York. "He can take a computer apart and put it back together again," Bapin's  supervisor told me. In his Internet-posted biography (http://www.bapin.info/ ), Bapin wrote that this  was his dream job, "a perfect opportunity for me to move ahead in my life where I can bring myself  at the hands of every deaf-blind person worldwide who is hungry for golden opportunities." Dinah was never further away than a tug on her  harness .
Bapin, Hook See, and Navin ( as an infant) eating out. 
When several years later I  asked him for an update on his life, he replied, "At this moment,  "Dinah is resting on her bed in one corner of my office."  The two had just returned on a jet from a conference in Los Angeles. "She loves flying all the time. She even went to Kolkata [Calcutta] with me twice, and all of my family members loved having her there.  Dinah is now ten and a half and loves going to work all the time, so I don’t know when she will be ready to retire." He also mentioned that the dog's spleen had to be removed because of a benign tumor. 
            On April 4, 2008, in an email sent at 12:40 a.m. to more than 50 friends, Bapin related how Dinah had collapsed a few hours ago due to a cancerous tumor around her heart."Today," his email read, " Dinah led me home from my office, which was 12 blocks away….she ate her dinner and soon thereafter collapsed. I am praying and hoping for a few more days Dinah can enjoy living."   Bapin now was working  in the San Francisco branch office of the Helen Keller Center.  
            Dinah spent a few days in an animal hospital  and then was brought home. Another email followed from Bapin: "I came home during lunchtime to check on her. Dinah still greets me when I get home, and she gets excited with the tail wagging hard, the usual Dinah. I took her outside for her to do her business. She dragged me to walk around an entire block  
            Dinah's veterinarian said the dog could collapse at any time.  Her medical bills so far had personally cost Bapin $3,500. Wanting his companion to live out her last days in a familiar environment, Bapin took Dinah back to New York to stay with his former landlord and co-worker at the Helen Keller Center. To avoid Dinah being left  too long without his master,  he now  flew monthly , from May until October ,  from San Francisco to New York to consult with a veterinarian there .  He emailed me on May 30: "She has not yet shown any decline in the guiding skills as she tries to guide me even on her leash when I am using my cane."

            In October,  Bapin posted on his webpage: "It's very sad to let you know that Dinah, passed away on October 14th. She collapsed at 3:45 p.m. as my co-worker James Feldman was trying to make her stand up from her bed under his office desk. She would not stand up and needed to be lifted onto a cart by two other colleagues, John Baroncelli and Robert Pena. She was taken to Robert's car and driven away to the Animal Medical Center in NYC. The doctors found that the fluids in the sac around Dinah's heart filled up again. They had to flush out the fluids,  but 15 minutes later the fluids filled up fast. There was no other option to curing the tumor and Dinah's primary doctor recommended to have her put down. James and Robert were at the hospital with Dinah,  and I was in my office here in San Francisco. I was on the phone with the doctor with an interpreter and we talked for a long time. We all decided to let Dinah go at 6:30 p.m. Dinah was to  be  cremated and her ashes  put into an urn. " 
            Adjusting to daily living without a Leader dog was slow and demanding  for Bapin , who now navigated with a cane . Demand for  his technical  skills at the Helen Keller Center  increased with  his added  role of  trainer for deaf and blind people. But Bapin remained   quick-witted  and impatient   with any project he undertook; among his several innovations at the Center were Braille-capturing radio instruments that emitted emergency notices on National Public Radio to individuals like himself.  He  terribly missed Dinah,  but his frequent travels as a spokesman  for the Center  offered him a different kind of companionship.   "When you are deaf-blind, technology is an ever-present companion ," he told me. "I travel with a laptop for e-mail, phone and Internet access.  I use a G.P.S.-equipped Braille  note-taker to get information about my surroundings. To communicate with others, I have a Screen Braille Communicator with two sides: one in Braille, which I can read and the other,  an L.C.D. screen with a keyboard for someone who is sighted."
Still, he prayed again for a "close friend." 

How Love Had Bloomed for Bapin ( Thanks to Dinah ? )
The author interviewing Bapin  via a Telebraille machine 
      At the conferences where he was asked to test his new adaptive technology products, Bapin kept running into a deaf Korean woman, Sook Hee Choi. "We were developing feelings for each other," Bapin told me over the telephone . He had been told that   Sook Hee is a slender Korean woman with black eyes and a melodic voice. She wears glasses, dresses  professionally when working with her husband, and speaks her native tongue  and , at the time, a bit of English,   
      He probably  thought that marriage between a deaf-blind man and a deaf woman  might be more of a risk than that crisis moment at the Rochester intersection where  he had to let go and let Dinah have her way.  Then his  email to me: "I am now engaged to get married. Sook Hee lives in San Francisco and works at the Lighthouse for the Blind there, and she is a wonderful woman! A wedding date has yet to be fixed. Do you remember that I told you…how I wanted Dinah to help me find a woman? Now, many thanks to her for finding me a girl!" 
     Sook Hee  accepted her fiance's invitation to accompany him to India to celebrate his brother's birthday.  That same year, the couple were married in the  San Francisco city hall.  Eleven months later—on Sook Hee's birthday—Bapin and wife became parents of a healthy son, Navin.
His Shinning Moment in Las Vegas
A  shining moment of Bapin's professional life came on a stage in Las Vegas when he stood before several hundred  people at the first-ever International Deaf-Blind Exposition . He was introduced as the CEO of his own adaptive technology company , a not-for-profit firm which provided instruments  for deaf and blind people to schools, government agencies, and businesses         around the  world . Unfortunately , Bapin could not  hear the  applause 
      As the applause for him continued,  he felt the finger  tips of his interpreter writing on his palm a description of   all that was happening. Then he  reached down to the  dog that had been  sitting attentively at his side and  vigorously stroked  it  in a display of gratitude. This was  Walter, a five-year-old , 100-pound Labrador Retriever, Bapin's  new and  constant companion.
Family Life and Precious Memories
            It is a May day,  and Bapin , Navin , and Walter  leave their El Cerrito  home and begin a five-minute walk to the train station for a two-minute ride followed by  a ten-minute walk to Navin's public school… " Our son is learning English and Korean in his kindergarten class,"   Bapin explains on the telephone through his interpreter.  " He's really smart and loves  technology. "  Some days ,  Bapin and Walter  might also ride a train for 35 minutes to  Bapin's office in Berkeley or travel  to Fremont where Bapin  teaches a deaf-blind interpreting class at Oholone College .  
         I once asked Bapin if Navin senses that his father is blind . " Sometimes he says to his mother, ' Dad can't see. ' But he knows to clasp my hand for me to get him something. He also knows he needs to guide  me. He has good communication with us,  and  we make sure he is exposed to a lot of different experiences. With his mother, he uses sign language  and is learning to  speak to her in Korean . She  reads his  lips . "  Bapin then paused to probe a thought : " I have a high priority for him .  We teach him how to be respectful to his parents and other people. But I've got to figure out how to help him more. I have to make more time for him because I'm very busy and want to make a good relationship with him. He's a sweet little kid."  


***

"I  want to make full use of my skills and give of  my self "
        The fragrance of lavender and chirping of birds  fills this  May Day air  as Bapin, wife and son are taking a peaceful stroll.  Bapin, of course, does not hear the chirps nor see the flowers. But he is gladdened knowing  that his son can see and hear  all this.
 These three well know the route , especially Walter, who has a built-in GPS. As instructed by his parents, Navin does his best not to stray ahead of Walter.  Traffic is minimal at two of  three intersections  ; the group easily  crosses all of them.
         On weekends Hook See might travel to her husband's office to manage his company's product distribution . But today she is likely in her  backyard garden hoeing out weeds and uprooting some early vegetables. She is planning for a special meal tonight to celebrate the good news that her son will, for sure,  enter the first grade in September.  The sight of a lone seagull flying away from a neighbor's yard  delights her ; she recalls the pleasure of having seen  her son wave at a flying   seagull here  last summer  and then turning to ask his mother what kind of bird that  was. Hook See did her best to name it .
***
            For that special dinner tonight, Sook Hee has  decorated the table with colorful , hand-stitched napkins and a table cloth from her native county; they were gifts from her mother when she lived here with Bapin and Hook See to help them through the challenges of their marriage and her daughter's pregnancy. The dishware is equally colorful, brought back from India by Bapin and Hook See when they visited Bapin's parents .
            Bapin unlocks the front door  , and he and Walter enter .  Bapin is bone-weary, mind-weary. It's been a tedious, often hectic nine-hour day of communicating through  many business matters  via  his Telebraille and interpreting all  the  tactile signing between him and a colleague. There also was his two-hour delay in taking Walter outside to relieve himself and that  frantic hunt for   that mislaid  piece of alpha electronic equipment an employee had placed in a remote section of the office, not telling Bapin about it.   Bapin's only desire now is  to release Walter from his harness and then sink into his   favorite chair. No thinking, no communicating , no task !
            I saw Bapin once  like this after his first Leader dog  had been washed out of training ;  he was exhausted from worrying about  his final college exams  and the anxiety over the  uncertainly of receiving a new Leader dog. I surmised that his current  thoughts were similar to those he had when  he had once expressed to me :  "I need to learn to deal with  people who don't understand that I don't need them to pity me because  I'm deaf and blind or to treat me any less that any other human or say ,' Oh, he's not very smart because he's blind and deaf. ' "  
            Bapin and his wife's two-bedroom apartment is aged . "It is like any other house, " he says . " It has a stove, oven, microwave, oven. "  Unlike most homes, it has an alarm system which vibrates his pager when the phone or doorbell rings or if there is an intruder.   
        This evening , his family greet him with tight hugs. Navin throws his arms around his father's thigh .  Bapin caresses  his head ,  then reaches down  to release Walter from his harness , signaling to the Lab that he's now  off-duty .
      Pizza and garden vegetables  ala Korean— his very favorites--he smells, but he's too tired to even smile.  " It is special tonight ,"  Hook See signs to  him , "because our son is going soon to be  first grader. We are happy  and want to celebrate ."
            Bapin frowns.  He has forgotten all about this event  and , worse, not remembering to bring home  that toy gift  for his son. When Bapin later was detailing this scene to me , I sensed  that that evening he was feeling  poured out , no emotion left . He badly wants to be more alive for his family    but is too weak to celebrate anything .  
     Hook See  and Navin tell him how beautiful the table setting is . Bapin  sits down at the table and  slowly glides a finger across the dinner plate. He hopes his face will not show his emptiness .  
            The family prays .
I had to ask myself  if during this prayer, if  this act of addressing God  Who had given Bapin him so much through the years, if Bapin  thought of those times he had ignored God's  prompts to forgive that  rugby team boy who had blinded him in one eye  at that camp fire , making him completely blind. ?  I had  once asked  Bapin about that boy: " I've kind of let it go, " he had said. " I never saw him again. I've never fully forgiven him but have looked at the positive things that have come out of that experience. "
            During dinner, Bapin visibly becomes restored . He talks to his family , using cheerful and affectionate words about them—and he appears very much aware of his wife's presence . "To marry her would be a risk, " I recall him saying years ago. Then, a little later in life he told  me,  " Bob, I found the right woman. She really takes care of me. We cherish each other. Sometimes we'll have bad days and sometimes good days. We really want to be better for our son." 
            During our last interview, I asked him for opinions about the current American culture and his  own spirituality. "I feel bad," he said, "that so many people have lost their moral values. Well, you know, as we get closer to the end of the world, as the Bible says, we will see  more and more of that. Sometimes I wish I could do things my way, but then God tells me: No, my way . I read the Bible, I pray before I go to bed ,  but I can't attend   church very often because in California it's  hard to find a good church that has interpreters. "
Encouraging  my friend to say more, he says, " I cherish life every day. I try to do the best things for other people, through God's help. But sometimes I feel I don't have enough power or  energy . Then God helps me. "  Two things make  him happy:  he  says "family and exotic good food."  And what saddens him ?  " It's world hunger and people with disabilities who have to live with discrimination. " 
            Dinner over, Bapin walks eagerly to a small adjoining room  for an hour of woodwork; this time he's replacing a broken  chair leg . After that , there's an unfinished cabinet he's been constructing. He loves it. 
***
           
Bapin , Hook See, and of course, Walter at the seashore 


     Nearing the end  of writing this,   my mind returned to that family dinner and of Walter  fast asleep under the dinning room table , his harness  hanging on the wall by the door. I began to think deeply about Dinah , too,  and the five dogs in my own long life  who have been "close friends,"  particularly two German Shepherds  , Luther and Moses . Their constant   loyalty and  obedience  ( and never a negative mood ! )   taught my late wife and I a few things about what our relationship to God should be.  I recalled asking Bapin  what Dinah and Walter have taught him.  "I understand God better now because of Dinah and Walter ," he said. " The reason is that God makes wonderful creatures and that gives me compassion. Walter is God's gift to me. And I can see how a dog can understand me. "
Nowadays I still see Bapin  at that dinner table with Hook See and Navin , all using different forms of communication to express their love for  each other. This  makes me think of that first  Pentecost .  And I remember  Bapin telling me , " Sometimes when I have frustrations, Walter helps me calm down and I tell myself, Get over it !  Then I feel more positive about life. "  I hear Bapin say, " I want to give of my self . "  It reminds me of an  exhortation of a 19th Century holy man  cited at the bottom of an old email Bapin had sent me : Don't let your life be sterile. Be useful .
 The light which Bapin's life today shines on the path through my twilight years  reminds  me of a title of a book written in the 1960's by a former chaplain of a renowned rehabilitation center: LET GO AND LET GOD.  And so I conclude : that at  that life-defining moment  at that traffic-laden intersection in Rochester,  that's  what a blind-deaf  man had to do to see and to hear  what God was willing to do for him. 
With Dinah, his first "close friend " 



[ On April 16, 2020 , I emailed Bapin
a request for another update of his
family life. As of this writing, I
have not heard from him. His
web address is http://www.bapin.info/]
THE END
All comments are welcome.
© 2015 , 2020 Robert R. Schwarz



On May  31, you can read all about 
"the good life"  of 17 cloistered nuns
living, working, and praying at the 
Mississippi Abbey . When  my wife
and I visited them, their abbess 
told me , " we have the same ups 
and downs as anyone. "

No comments:

Post a Comment