Popular Posts

5/8/22

Four Men Explain Their Real-Life Relationship with Jesus ... Precise Words a Challenge ?


 




A Report by Robert R. Schwarz

Note: These interviews were conducted in 
mid 2022 and contain a few updates


     A Gardener Who Connects with Jesus Via a Vine

      
Sixty-year-old Rich Kolari has for years been mowing grass and beautifying lawns in my neighborhood. I asked him the other day at  lunch at a local Subway eatery what his favorite Bible verse was .He quoted Jesus  from John 15:1... "I am the vine;  you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." Then, being the self-appointed-yet-modest evangelist he is, Rich added: " We don't want to be broken branches and lose  the sap of life. "
          " Sounds like you have a relationship with Jesus , " I said.   
      " Oh, yes," he replied. We have to."  He then quoted the refrain from a favorite hymn saying, "What a Friend We have  in Jesus ."
      I encouraged  Rich to tell me more--boy, did he !  
      
      "Ever hear His voice ?" I finally asked.
      "Yes, I have. You know He says  He is our shepherd.  
      " And of course, you pray to Him?" I asked.
      " I pray directly to our Savior. We need to take time with private moments with our Lord and have fellowship with Him, and that we be responsible about it…make a daily commitment …so we can drink  directly from the throne of God."
      "Honestly now, Rich,"  I asked, "have you ever seen Jesus or had a  vision of Him ? "
      Rich paused for a moment, obviously pleased with the question.     "Yeah , in my mid twenties , when I was  in the Marine Corps. "         He explained that it was after a church event  in Arlington Heights, Illinois, where we both lived.   
     "I was alone in a hotel  room. "My eyes were closed and I had a mini vision of Jesus with tears flowing out of His eyes. I knew it was straight passionate love for the church, and  that He wanted to reach out and help people."
     Now it was my turn to  pause. 
      "Tell me, Rich, " the journalist in me had to ask ,  "can you recall  a moment in your life when you cried to Jesus for mercy ?"               
      Rich  related an event when returning  one winter from a visit with his father in Arizona ( Rich was then  about 25 years of age  ) and  was driving through New Mexico  and  decided to head  north through the mountains towards Denver . "There was  a  b ridge with ice on it.  I slid on the ice and  hit the side of  the bridge. I called on the Lord that I would not  go off the bridge and into  a dark  ravine below .
      "Jesus heard me.  My car was ruined, but I was fine.  I started hitchhiking.  Whoever picked me up told me about a nearby  church ,  and then  drove me to it. The pastor's wife took me in  for the  night, and  I got a good night's rest. "
      The next day, Rich told me, he  hitchhiked back to his mother's house in  Arlington Heights." Today ," Rich said, "I  thank God  for all the people who helped me then.  The Lord was watching over me…"
***
     I knew Rich regularly  attended churches of different denominations , and so I asked why.   
       " I simply enjoy going to different places of worship and hearing  what different pastors have to say about God and Jesus."        
      Rich reminded me that he had someone's lawn to cut and had to leave in five minutes. I quickly asked  how his faith was formed. He liked the question.
      " I was brought up  in the church. There was Sunday school. My mother loved the Lord . She read Bible stories to me. She loved singing unto the Lord. She was a very strict Lutheran…."  Rich  recalled another  favorite hymn:  "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God."  He added, "We sang it loudly in the Third Grade, really enjoying ourselves."
              "Just two more questions, Rich: Any advice  for the person who’s searching for Jesus but hasn't yet found Him ?
      "I  think maybe he should  read the scriptures. Sometimes it’s just one verse that will do it. Jesus' words are spirit and life,  you know. That person should  meditate on them  and also  interact with other believers."
       "Last question, Rich. I'm not sure, but do you evangelize to people ? "                                                                      
      " Yes, but I have to ask the lord to give  me boldness to do so. There's a couple of people right now I'm  trying to target . I'll be inviting  them to a local church. "
      Rising from our lunch table, Rich also mentioned a lady of the Jewish faith whose lawn he mows. " She's coming close to converting," he said.  
      

     
An Army Chaplain in a War Zone  , Now a Priest, Saw Jesus There as  "Discovery, Trust, Mercy and  Grace "

         
As a U.S. Army chaplain for five and a  half years during our country's warfare in Afghanistan, Fr.  Matthew Foley  knows exactly what Jesus Christ meant with His words,  Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends. Fr. Foley often saw the holy truth of these words lived out by American soldiers.   As pastor  of the St. James Catholic  church in Arlington Heights, his homilies often urged his parish members to have an ongoing relationship  with Jesus .
          What his real-life relationship and personal thoughts were  about Jesus drew me to interview him; as a Christian, I had questions that needed answers, like what is really meant about a "relationship" with Jesus.
          We sat in his office. Fr. Matt is in his mid-fifties, he has blue eyes and black hair always trimmed short . He exercises to stay trim and stands at  five- feet- seven. He smiles a lot and listens more than he talks.        
          Me:  A lot of Christians hear that phrase, a relationship with Jesus.  Tell me, how do you as a priest  define it ?  I think a lot of people would like to hear  about your own relationship  with Him."
         
             Fr. Matt: I see my  relationship with Jesus as an ongoing process of surrender [ to Him ], a  discovery, with  trust, mercy and  grace.
         
           Me:  Do you talk with Him , have a conversation ?
          Fr. Matt:  I  believe I speak to Jesus all day long. I believe there are moments of a tremendous sense of humility  I have before Him  when I'm celebrating the Mass , anointing the sick.
         ( Fr. Matt said there also  are moments when he has a strong sense of Jesus' presence . He said  he distinguishes between what Jesus is saying to Him  and what his  own mind is  saying . )          
          Fr. Matt:  I  take advantage of one of those  moments  and enter into a dialogue [ with Jesus ] , which is listening more than speaking.   
          Me:  Can you recall how  your relationship with Jesus was  formed ?
         
          Fr. Matt:  I believe that probably  the relationship began with God's mercy and grace at  the time  I was baptized . And by the modeling of my parents and other Christian people . My parents were the first and foremost teachers of my faith in Jesus Christ. Through the reading of scripture, Jesus has allowed  me to see  His heart  and receive the spirit of wisdom that allows me to go deeper into my prayers.

Me:  When you were a chaplain in Afghanistan , was there a prayer you offered up more  than other prayers?

          Fr. Foley:  'Lord Jesus, help me surrender my  will to your will.'   I've been saying that prayer for years.
         
          Me: Any other thoughts about Jesus related to your time as a chaplain  there ?

          Fr. Foley:  Well, Jesus said there's  no greater love that to lay down one's life for a friend…and I've seen that.

          Me:  Any advice for someone still searching for Jesus , for a real-life relationship with Him?

          Fr. Foley:  Find a friend who knows Jesus. Join a Bible study group or go to a retreat that focuses on Jesus.
 [ You can read more  about Fr. Foley by clicking on   http://exodustrekkers.blogspot.com/2014/07/fr-foley-at-generals-mass-in.html ]   


"I Hear Jesus' Voice Every Day Like a Tap on Shoulder" , Says This Deacon and Missionary to  Uganda 

     
When Don Grossnickle  has time to depart  for a few days from his duties as deacon of his Arlington Heights church, he's  off to Uganda , Africa, to help save babies and their mothers now dying there from Malaria. When back home again, he resumes his after-hours labor of raising  funds for a non-profit foundation ( Microfinance Alliance Africa Projects Foundation Post Office Box 1471
Arlington Heights, IL 60006 ; or at website http://www.MAAPFOUNDATION.0RG ) that continues his mission work.  Don  was a good candidate for an interview about a real-life relationship with Jesus.
      We sat down at my patio table and talked .  Don is a husky  71- year- old with Swedish heritage. He  has authored 14 books and 50 articles for educational journals, and he likes to explain life's  principles.  He and his wife raised  three children.
      "Tell me about your relationship with Jesus," I began. 
      " I have a very close relationship with Jesus ," he said.   "He has every dimension of  kinship with me. I can  see Him, imagine Him, taste Him, and  feel Him through my prayer by  reading His word in scripture . When I pray I definitely feel the person of Jesus .  And , yes,    "I hear His voice every day…"
       "How so ? " I asked.  
      " Like a  tap on the shoulder ,  an affirmation, " he replied.
      "You see him ? 
      Don thought  for a moment. He wanted to be clear, but I intruded upon his thoughts by recalling hearing retired St. James priest Fr. Bill Zavaski quote Pope Francis:  "You see the face of Jesus on the face of people."
      "I can relate to that," Don said. "I've seen a lot of  pain—and joy—in people during my 32 years as deacon, at funerals, weddings. "
      I told Don I wanted to hear about the  most solemn prayer he ever offered up , one in which he  begged for the merciful love of Jesus. 
      He grinned, as if thanking me for an opportunity to share a  precious memory.  It  was in 1981, he said, inside a maternity room at Northwest Community Hospital in Arlington Heights . Inside lay his wife Kathy, about to give birth to their third child.  Don had been waiting at her side to help in a normal delivery . A nurse told Don to go put on a gown . 
    " While I was in the washroom," Don recalled, "I heard the code blue alarm sound.  I didn’t think much of it , but when  I returned to my wife's room, the door was closed , and I was told I could not to go in."     
          Several hospital staff members were now rushing into  the room, one advising Don  that his wife was having "breathing  distress" ,  caused by her  epidural having been  misapplied when injected into her spine.  Though  it was meant  to freeze the lower part of  his wife's  body , it  now was impairing her  heart and breathing. The baby was at risk of asphyxiation.
      Don quickly telephoned his mother.   He told her, " Mom, we need  to  pray because I  don't have the capacity to live the rest of my life without my wife and with a dead son…I went to Jesus and said, Jesus I need your help…He spoke to me by responding to my plea…My wife and son were born fine ! "
      Don  thanked God , Jesus and the Holy Spirit by  deciding then to serve his fellow worshippers and study to become  a deacon.

       Don's faith life had been formed, he said, by listening to his mother from an early age talk about  God. "The idea of Jesus really grew—and still is growing. There has come a feeling of being embraced by God the Father and  Jesus the Good Shepherd ."
     He explained that his commitment to the Commandments of Jesus  and to his church and mission to Africa were  cemented  five years ago  while on a pilgrimage to Sicily. He and a friend decided to climb an  active volcano  there.  Climbing downward, both of Don's legs were disabled  with severe cramps. Soon after that incident, he was diagnosed with a terminal heart ailment and given two years to live. That  doctor's diagnosis  was almost five years ago. 
(to read more about Don's mission go to : https://exodustrekkers.blogspot.com/2019/06/the-heart-of-american-suburbanite_30.html )



 He Makes Disciples for Jesus. His 9-Year-Old  Daughter Talked to Jesus
     
The St. James FOCUS "disciples"
     Matt Marcheschi, 38 , had been  a  missionary for the St. James Catholic church in Arlington Heights for 4 ½ years and , with the help of his associate missionary there, Sara  Stanley, helped hundreds of his fellow parishioners  have a real-life relationship with Jesus. Obviously, it isn't easy work, but during our interview, Matt said  he loves it.
   
   His  focus is on the parish outreach program  FOCUS,  which generates a Jesus-related  discipleship "vision"  for the more than 50 ministries at St. James.
      " I'd like to hear more about that relationship with Jesus, " I told Matt.
      " I think Catholic Christianity is all about relationship ," he replied.  "When we have that , it's easier to see everything Jesus tells  us . A phrase that has stuck with me is:  rules without a relationship will lead to rebellion.      
      When I asked whether members of his several  FOCUS groups  share with him about their personal  conversations with Jesus , he  replied,  "Of course. I think their  private  prayers  are those conversations. Here's an example:  My wife and I were going to bed the other night when our my nine-year-old  daughter told my wife that a 'scary image' had  came into her head . She then said  that she immediately started to have a conversation with Jesus that went like , 'Jesus I love you ',  and ' I know you know what's best for me  and  please take away all  the anxieties and burdens that Mommy  and Daddy have …'  
     " It was beautiful coming from a nine-year-old….And, yeah,  I think that's what we're all striving for , to have that conversation through the day, throughout the week with Jesus. Not just a  rote prayer. "
      " Do you ever hear Jesus speak to you ? "
      " Sure, " Matt said. "When I'm reading scripture, something will resonate with me, like an  affirmation of something I'm doing or plan to do. It helps if  I hear this affirmation a second time when going  to mass. One reason  why FOCUS encourages daily prayer is that  God  speaks to us in the silence. I think he's trying to speak to us all the time , but we're just not attentive to it ."
      Matt pondered the question whether  he believed  his FOCUS people actually ever saw Jesus.  He replied  with a question: " Do we ever trust that Jesus can perform  miracles today , those we  read about in scriptures  or hear  have occurred in our lifetime ?... Some things, you know, go beyond our understanding."
      This missionary continued: " People are on different parts of their journey in FOCUS, " he  said. " They are asking  the fundamental questions: Why  am I here? Who is Jesus?  Who is God ?  Others want to deepen  their relationship with Jesus…The  ultimate goal  of FOCUS people  is to share with others   the answers they have found.
      "My faith journey, my relationship with Jesus has been a series of  deepening encounters…like when I was at a Good Friday service with my daughter and I heard it said that 'everything changes when the Cross becomes personal to us.' Right after the church's veneration of the cross,  I  saw the young, the old, the handicapped, the blind— all those people going up to venerate the wood of the cross in  front of all of us . And as  I got back to my pew, I just broke down because I had again been reminded  that Jesus  died for me . It all  became personal in that moment. My daughter was  there , and she's like, are you okay, Daddy ?  It was a powerful moment, definitely an encounter I had with Jesus. He had reminded me of a truth." 

    In November of 2019 , Fr. Bill  Zavaski delivered a homily that brought the congregation at St. James Church in Arlington Heights to a meditative silence. After walking a few paces across the altar with an unusually emboldened expression he said, " I have something important to tell you ... Here's how to have a true relationship with Jesus. " Fr. Bill  lowered his voice, slowly saying each word: "Look for Jesus on their faces, in their behavior. " 


[ a closing note  from
the author, Bob Schwarz: 
" I have a close real-life, 
daily relationship with the
 Holy Spirit who , when I 
 diligently pay attention  to
 Him, guides me through 
the day. In heaven, I'm 
looking forward to seeing
Jesus face-to-face and being  
surrounded by my family,
close friends, and others 
who blessed my life on earth." ]



The End
comments  welcome at
rrschwarz71@comcast.net

©  2020, 2022  Robert R. Schwarz

No comments:

Post a Comment