Popular Posts

12/10/23

The Very Heart of a Busy Concierge

 


Reported by Robert R. Schwarz


Life is not given merely for

happiness and personal fulfillment,

but for us to serve and honor God.

(footnote for Job 3:23-26, Life

Application Study Bible )


A  concierge is a custodian or head porter,

as of an apartment house. (Webster’s

New World College Dictionary)

                            Nancy (left)  with fellow concierge 


She answers each phone call with a rehearsed yet congenial introduction to the assisted living community which employs her . Though she considers it wordy, her introduction never fails to end with a very sincere “and how may I help you.”

She is Nancy Goellner , a 31-year veteran concierge at the HarborChase community in Naperville , Ilinois, who, at age 75, exclaims “ I get energy working here.”

Being bored after three years of a recent retirement , Nancy came to HarborChase and never eased away from being a friend to any resident that paused at the front desk, never tired of listening to complaints of the community’s hundred or so aged residents—some in their second century of life—and the staff of more than two dozen professional and equally friendly care-givers.

There is more. On any given hour of here shift, you’ll see Nancy engaging--sometimes like a sympathetic family member--with either a resident or staff person in give-and-take conversations like how is so-and-so doing in the hospital? Where can I buy this ? My  grandchildren might visit me today; they might be nervous about thus, so be nice. Can someone tell the chef not to put cheese on everything? Et cetera, et cetera. And then there are always questions about prevailing weather and more detail information about the day’s activities.

“I never regretted not going to college, “ Nancy admitted during our interview.

Yes, it seems, that Nancy loves people. "I love giving to people. Some are as good to me as my family. "


Nancy’s husband died five years ago after five years of kidney dialysis. The two had been married 47 years. He left her with two sons, “Rick”, 49, a graphic designer, and Steve, 39. an executive chef who now resides with Nancy in their home in nearby
Batavia.

Anything make Nancy sad ? “Seeing poor people,” she responded, adding the thought of her husband's passing still saddens here. If anything worries her, she chuckled, “it’s the thought that the person who has just confided with me something intimate now suddenly shows he regrets it. "

As for life lessons she has learned , one is don’t take life for granted. " I make the  most of each day. I’ve taken 30 cruises , and next year my son Steve and I are sailing to South America... and I love to shop. My husband provided well for me. I thank the Lord for all that I have .”

At her funeral, she would like people to say “Nancy was a lot of fun. I don’t want them to cry. I want them to laugh…But I’m ready. I’ve had a wonderful life."

We talked about the various questions residents ask at the desk. “Well, Bob, you know that we are not allowed to ever say ‘ I don’t know’ . If I really don’t know, I say ‘ I will check with someone.’ Or, ‘I’ll try to find out.’ There  are times when I am asked crazy questions. Like where  is the best surgeon for my strange  illness.I don’t answer any questions about medical issues. I might refer them to one of our nurses. "

Often constant phone calls  put Nancy to the test. "I don’t answer calls coming from 800 numbers. "

Nancy loves to engage her residents in conversations, no matter the subject, it seems. "Perhaps I do go overboard with that. But I do love people. I've been all over the world seeing people , and I know many of us really need someone at times , simply to talk to. There are, though, a few who come through that door now and then who definitely have no business being here... Some people say my job is a very simple job. Well, it's not." She believes that a negative remark to a resident can become contagious. " But, you know, because I'm the first person a visitor sees coming through the door, that sort of makes me   important, I guess. " Nancy used to work for an independent living community. Said Nancy, " When I came here, I exclaimed to myself, Oh, my God, this is assisted living ! I like assisted living more. Helping someone here makes a big difference in my day. I really try to treat them as I would my family. "

Nancy, I believe, knows what her purpose is in life.  Could it be that the overriding purpose for any human is as clear and simple as loving God and your neighbor as yourself ?


Next Sunday: How a 3-Day Getaway to

Muskegon Led to Wisdom about Marriage


###

All comments are welcome.

rrschwarz777@gmail.com



© 2023 Robert R. Schwarz






No comments:

Post a Comment