Popular Posts

11/1/23

A Cleaning Lady from Poland Who Cleans the Souls of Her Clients While Cleaning Their Homes

 




" When we fall in love with God, He works His will through us, sending us to people that are in need, especially the ones who have spiritual struggles... I Need to Be Strong So I Can Help Others(Grace Bigas)                                                                                                             
  
                               

A Report by  Robert R. Schwarz 
( originally published March 2018, re-edited later )

         My wife Mary Alice , who a few years ago was recovering   from a shoulder replacement, asked her rehab trainer if he could recommend a cleaning lady for our home. He did, and then added, " But you should know that she's very religious." A week later, Grace rang our doorbell . At her side was  a vacuum cleaner  and her 29-year-old daughter holding  a  red plastic bucket  full of cleaning supplies. "Good morning, " Grace said  cheerfully in broken English,  "I am cleaning lady, this is daughter Monica. " I knew she was Polish  , and wanting  both women to  feel at ease, replied "dobrze" (meaning  "good"  ) , one  of maybe five words I know in Polish. Grace and Monica smiled and entered our home and, within a minute,  began setting up for three hours of cleaning that would satisfy a West Point cadet  trainer. Often she was on  her mobile phone  talking to a family friend in  Poland while cleaning our bathroom.   The religious dimension of  Grace's  skills would soon  be seen ,with her daughter  translating  some  of her mother's words.  



I    In the beginning...it began with a "Hello, America! " 

          On April l3 ,   1999,  Grace stepped  off the jet after  a 14-hour flight from her native  Poland . As the custom official  stamped her visa, Grace had a   fleeting thought of her ill husband and 12-year-old daughter Monica, both left behind in the family's home in Jaroslow  ( a 90-minute drive from  Krakow, home of Pope Saint John Paul  II).  She retrieved  her luggage  and remained  tense  about what lay ahead: learning English and, most important, saving enough  money  for a return trip to Poland to complete  reconstruction of  their  family home there. She would , a decade later, tell my wife and me that her chief concern had been " just to get by day to day," she told me  in one of our interviews.         
         
Grace being blessed at the Jordan
River in Israel
Waiting for Grace 
 outside O'Hare International  airport  was a cousin with whom Grace would live for six months in Trenton, New Jersey.  Walking  over to meet her cousin ,  Grace prayed that the often- heard promise about finding a better life  in America was true.  That  promise , she discovered , however, would not be fulfilled without much hardship . 
         Her cousin's friends found  Grace a job at  a large Polish cleaning service. Here, she was  assigned  the most difficult  work, like cleaning out dimly lit basements, scrubbing toilets that hadn't been cleaned in weeks, and eliminating  rivulets  of  dust in obscure corners behind heavy appliances.  
      Six months later and now quite discouraged ,  Grace returned to her husband and daughter in Poland ,  only to realize that  what money she had frugally   saved was not enough to finish the  re-building of their home there.   So, on January13, 2000 , Grace  returned to America  , this time to Chicago . There, she  answered a help-wanted ad in a Polish newspaper and   once more went   to work as a cleaning lady  for a house-cleaning service.    " I had  very good  boss and customers, " she  said.  " A few years later I bought  used car   and slowly  got more independent. I found customers on  my own,  sent  money to Poland for work on my home. It was very hard. I missed family and my homeland a lot. I had struggles with my marriage . "
           
       
   In  her home with  figure of the Virgin Mary
she often puts on loan to clients  today
   For the next year, Grace  lived through unhappy days , including a breakdown in her marriage and other troubles which she blames on her   inability, she said, "to find myself."  Her faith that God would enable her to earn enough money to return to Poland to rebuild both her home and   marriage  was  constantly challenged. Cleaning more homes  seemed her  only  option. " I felt empty and lonely being  so far  from the people I love ," she said. 

" It was horrible , and not being spiritually close to God did not  help either .  "
          To cheer herself, she thought often of  the farm on which her parents raised her . "My parents were farmers , and they  worked very hard  and taught me and my sisters  responsibility and to appreciate what we had," she recalled . "My father was in church ministry. From  a very early age we were taught respect for God  , for Saint Mary and for all of  God's creations  ."  
               
                   "I put my trust in Jesus "
         
       Grace's spirits lifted when  she  decided to send for her daughter to come live with her. Her husband would  remain in Poland indefinitely. 
         Monica , then, 18, arrived in Chicago in 2005 to live with her mother in a small third-floor apartment  in a suburb west of the city.  " It was a great challenge to make everything work out here , especially financially for my  daughter's schools  she was  attending here as well as  her  struggles  for  independence, " Grace said. " God had a plan for me but I did not understand that back then.   I wanted to be happy and have a happy family. I thought maybe I could have a fresh start    with my daughter here and create a new family. But that  wasn’t the  way , I found out. I slowly started  growing closer to God and began  realizing that this is what makes me very happy, brings peace to my heart and helps me overcome all challenges . " 
     
Daughter Monica
     Monica continued to help her mother learn English and to help her  clean homes and apartments.     
          God now stepped in with amazing grace, Grace told me. One day in Chicago's Holy Trinity Church,  she met  Fr. Witko, a visiting priest from Poland whose apostolate ( religious work )  was  praying to heal people with various afflictions . He prayed that day for Grace.   " I was touched by Jesus for the first time, " Grace said . " I was healed from whatever was broken inside me. I felt close to God and put my trust in Jesus.  I knew He would guide me in the right way."
          Before  leaving church that day, Grace  prayed  to the Virgin Mary that  she would lead her closer to Jesus.  Grace daily  offered up this prayer  for 33 consecutive  days.     "Today I know that Saint  Mary was the one that snapped me out of my  old life and started creating a new path for me, opening my eyes to mistakes that I  made and preparing  my heart for this spiritual change," she said.
          Bringing to mind that day she went  to a priest for reconciliation (confession ) , she said , "I  was so happy to be in church that day  and receive the Body of the Christ with a  pure heart. That was the very beginning of my life changed , to my conversion . I was starting to fall in love with Jesus Christ. When my faith deepened in Jesus , I  let Saint Mary  take over my path in life   to start working wonderful things for me . She showed me how I could help families, sick people, and people in need. "
          But this cleaning lady would soon face a major  crisis :  Was she to obey her God-called mission to   stay in America helping people or follow her heart , which was aslso   beckoning her back to Poland ?

II     Grace's  profile
       On the first day of our interview Grace was then  in her sixties...  I see her as a sturdy, tall   woman of high energy   with a   face that invites people to connect  with her. Given an opening , she will tell you that her favorite  saint was Pope Paul John II, followed by saints Joseph and Mary , and fellow countryman and Auschwitz  martyr, Maximilian Kolbe .    She describes her hair color (with  a heavy Polish accent ) as  "burgundy"   brown.  Her green eyes twinkled when she humorously referred  to anyone  who loves God a lot as a "hot Catholic."  Yet with conviction, she labels herself  a "cleaning lady"--and a meticulous one ,  my wife and I  discovered .        
          Prior to the covid  pandemic,  Grace usually cleaned three homes each day except on  Sunday.    Grace's day usually begins at 5:30 a.m. After morning Mass, there is often breakfast of an omelet made by Monica. Sometimes lunch is a sandwich eaten in Grace's  car on the way to a cleaning job. For dinner, she will likely cook a Polish croquet dish  or  her favorite, red borscht soup .
    Unlike any cleaning lady I have known, Grace tidies up my sloppy medicine chest and  picks up and folds  clothes which a homeowner like me may have tossed carelessly on the bedroom floor. "Mom does a little of everything,"  her daughter said. "She sews, stitches, cooks." Monica , who has been a part-time student here  and an aspiring  design architect , continues to  help her mother clean homes. Like her mother, she too  is wired with cheerful energy . Asked once if she has a  boyfriend, the daughter gave  a modest  yes. 
        Grace will also go to her  knees  in prayer while in a  home she is cleaning   for  a very ill or distressed client, regardless of her client's religious denomination.  "It doesn’t matter who they are," she said  .    Are Grace's  prayers answered?  Yes, of course, Monica told me, and briefly mentioned  three  instances: her mother's  answered prayer for a childless mother who, for years , wanted to become  pregnant--and then did; another prayer answered was for a  young woman who badly needed a job and got it after Monica prayed for her . And there was answered prayer for  a Polish priest from Russia who had passionately desired to come to America to give lectures during Lent  but was prevented by  the pandemic's many restrictions .  After Grace's prayer group went to their knees for him , the priest surprisingly  found a way to travel here .
          The walls in Grace's living room have  run out of space  to hang her  array of painted, sketched, and photographed renditions of saints , Biblical prophets , and an  enormous  portrait of Jesus. There is also a picture of  Jesus which  Grace found next to a neighborhood garbage can .   And often snoozing on Grace's couch is the family cat  Pluszka ("Fluffy "  in Polish).     
     Along with   her vacuum cleaner and an assortment of dusters and detergents which Grace  brings into a client's home ,  is a gift,  such as rosary beads, a papal encyclical (or   testimony about the  Blessed Mother),  a framed picture of  a Biblical scene , a  portrait   of Jesus , and a prayer book. She admits to suspecting that some of her clients put their  gift in a closet as soon as she leaves for the day,   but then places it back   in obvious view for Grace to see when  a  serious family problem or illness develops.    
           One of those  gifts always  travels with Grace: It's a  three-foot-high , artfully shaped figurine  of the Mother of Jesus.  Grace  brings it into  the home of any  client who requests it as a blessing for their family when going through a trial. When Grace returns to the home, she retrieves the figurine for another home. "It changes peoples' lives ," Grace said.  Monica added ,  " Someone is always calling Mom  with the name of someone who needs Mary in their home.  " 
     Grace  calls it  the "pilgrim statue " , for it was brought to America decades ago by  Fr. Emil Cudak, a  priest ( now deceased ) who had been placing  this same Mary   in  homes in Poland. He prayed with  the poor, sick, and elderly .   In America,  Fr. Cudak and Grace became friends which , Monica told me, greatly influenced her mother's religious mission .   The Mary figurine  , when not currently in someone's home, sits prominently   in Grace's living room. 
       
    Monica at a younger age at a Mass in
Holy Trinity  Church in Chicago
   " We just love helping people, " Monica said. '' In any way we can, sometimes even with money—if we can . "   Grace holds no ministerial or volunteer position in any particular church,  yet,  according to Monica, " she knows all the priests. " One of them today is Fr. Mark Herbert   at Immaculate Conception Church in Gilman, Illinois. 
          Fr. Herbert and I conversed on the phone:   "Grace is not ashamed or afraid," he told me, " as some are today, to  speak up about   God . We need people like her , especially today .  I am grateful for her dedication.  She cares for people , for those  who often are overlooked. Grace goes into hospitals to comfort and pray for the dying, the very sick . She'll text me to pray for  those whom she knows suffer from addiction, illness, or the need for confession.  She is strong and devoted and prays in many ways, especially  for peace  for all. " 
          I asked Grace how often she and Monica themselves   go to confession , and   Monica replied, "As often as possible, often weekly. " 

III   Grace's conflict: Stay in America or return home ?

          Do mother and daughter make time for fun? I asked .  The two  looked at each with a grin that asked what fun?   Television, a movie now and then ?   "We don't care for that",  Monica said flatly . " But a friend  calls us from Poland , sometimes twice a  day with news from Poland. " The friend  telephones from Częstochowa , a city  known world-wide for its famous  monastery  of Jasna Góra, home of the Black Madonna painting .  Every year, millions of pilgrims  come to see it and the Virgin Mary  shrine  there  .  

        
Pointing to her Best Friend
       I once  asked   Grace to explain her love for the mother of Jesus.  In Polish,  she talked  for a moment  to Monica, who  translated for her mother: " God loves His  Son, who loves His mother Mary¸ and therefore when I , Grace,  love Mary
, I know that  Jesus is loving me. "  
          Does Grace , our cleaning lady too,  claim to   have seen  an apparition or  vision or  heard  a voice of  the Virgin Mother.  "No, not me , " Grace quickly replied. Monica chimed in:  " But whenever we need an answer to a direction to take in life, we pray and go to the Bible . You'd be surprised how many times we get an answer what to do ! "  
          Being  so far from her family year after year  prompts  Grace to telephone  her mother on holidays and  to   pray often that her family there  be "peaceful and happy  ."  Monica worries that her mother's heavy  work schedule is damaging her mother's  health, especially when  her mother does a 12-hour day of cleaning, then takes twenty minutes to change clothes  to dash off to pray with someone . All this is followed by  her mother attending her 1 a.m group prayer meeting on Saturday  in the nearby suburb of  Elmhurst. 
                Determined to give her mother a  therapeutic vacation ,   Monica saved enough money to send her to Israel  and  soon after that,   to Colorado for a church   pilgrimage .  Last  September,  Grace flew to Poland to visit her 92-year-old   mother who was recovering from a serious illness. 
          Talking to Grace one day in our  home,  I  discerned  she was weighed down with a grave, persisting  dilemma: should she remain in America or return to friends, family and her native country.  It begged for  resolution.  I had to ask: " Grace, if you had the money, would you next week  return to  Poland   to stay  permanently ? "
                    Mother and daughter talked in Polish for a few  minutes.  Monica , now quite serious, said,  " Family is the most important thing, not finances. "
         " Could your  family come here  ? " I asked . 
         Monica laughed . 
           "Not with all the family  we have there ," she said .   "We really want to go back , but we already have a life here and just to pick up and go back to Poland and start all over ? "  Monica frowned  and shook her head . 
          
       
Always at Grace's finger tips to give  a  client is a
book about  the mother of Jesus or a  papal encyclical.
   
Weighing in on Grace's  husband still in Poland, I asked,  "Grace, what about your husband?"  
          The question appeared to wound Grace .  She was silent, pensive for a moment. Then, with her  smiling green eyes, Grace declared ,   "You know, Mr. Schwarz, don't you,  families that pray together, stay together.  Nothing   that can break them apart when they are  together on their knees. And the children will follow. " 
         She then looked at her daughter for more  words. Then paused before saying,  " To go back, I first ask God  what He wants. More  important  is to help people be where all should be—in heaven. "
          I discerned  that   Grace and Monica were here for the duration of their  mission. 


IV                   Well done, good and faithful servant   …Come [into heaven ] and
                             share your Master's happiness ! ( Matthew 25: 21 )

          Grace admits having battles which all of  humankind has with its three arch enemies:    the world , the flesh and the  devil.  Monica wants  to return to school and   learn  more about architectural  design , especially the skill of  restoring "everything that is old. "  Grace says she herself is  happy "seeing people change for better,  from bad life to good life. "  
    My wife Mary Alice and I  will remember the time in our home when, for no apparent reason , Grace suddenly turned off  the vacuum cleaner to say, "Many people  are very lost . I pray for America and Poland. "  Then she continued cleaning  our home . 

          On her tombstone , Grace wants the epitaph to read:  " She  loved Jesus and Saint Mary. And If there'd be room on that tombstone, I'd also  want what  Pope VI  wrote about Our Lady's  husband, Joseph:  
          " 'He is the proof  that  in order
          to be a good   and genuine follower of
          of Christ, there is no need of great things
          —it is enough to have the common, simple, and
          human virtues, but they need to be true and
          authentic . ' "
THE END 
comments are welcome at
   rrschwarz777@gmail.com
 ©  2023 Robert R. Schwarz

          


No comments:

Post a Comment